> For the time being, I think we're interested in tracking downloads.
> Does BitTorrent support that?

        Yes, via the tracker, based on the level of detail you might need.

        Do you want to track specific IP addresses? Or just the number of
downloads? Check out the following for some examples on our production
environment:

        http://torrents.plkr.org:8000

        http://downloads.plkr.org/stats/

        I can probably delve deeper and get more detail from the tracker,
but I don't personally have any need to do so. The logs have the IP of
each downloader, if you should need that information.

        We track this for several projects hosted here. It tends to help
quite a bit at release time, especially when we're peaking at 10gb/day for
releases over http. Ugh.

d.