It's actually a fairly complex problem. There's a seminal academic paper on it from some time in the 80's that treats wide lines, including their joints, as general two-dimensional areas, and deals rigorously with questions about which pixels should be included and which excluded. I think some modern operating system graphics systems base their wide-line-drawing APIs on this work.