I need to open a file on the SD card (to start an app with SysUIAppSwitch) but I get an error calling VFSVolumeEnumerate. I assume this is because it uses global variables. Is that correct?

No; you should be able to call VFSVolumeEnumerate even when you don't have globals available. What's the error code?

(There have been lots of posts here about how to launch an app from an external card, by copying it to internal RAM etc. Check the archives.)

Now this code needs only be called on a T3. Is it safe to assume the vol. ref. nr that is used for the SD slot is the same on all T3s so I can simply hardcode it?

No, I don't believe you can rely on that assumption.

-David Fedor
PalmSource, Inc.