Thanks a Lot

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of Dave
Lippincott
Sent: Thursday, May 20, 2004 6:40 PM
To: Palm Developer Forum
Subject: Re: Usb Port Battery Consumption

Don't confuse the Serial port and USB.  The Palm's USB port is a slave so
you will not be able to use it to communicate with anything except a host
(as in a PC).  If you *are* using the USB port, it does not drain the power
nearly as much as the serial port.  Plus, the stock Palm USB cradle and the
Zire cable charge while they sync so you won't have to worry about draining
the unit.
The UART in the latest units is part of the processor and does not burn the
batteries as quickly as it use to (although there still is a RS232 level
generator, they are way more efficient now).  What you read was likely meant
to describe older units that contain a UART and an earlier RS232 level
generator chip.  That combination drew upwards of an extra 40mA on the older
III series.  Still, if you use the serial port, don't keep it open any
longer than you have to.