At 09:00 AM 6/15/2004, you wrote:
...seems simple, and it does create a file, but not what
i expected. My test created a 51k pdb file. I thought a streaming
PDB would be one large record chunk of pure data, but that is
not the case. It created 13 records of 4k (4096 bytes) each and
there was some overhead data in each record.

This is correct -- the file stream database format was chosen to avoid large chunks of memory being allocated, something that could limit the flexibility of the Palm OS memory manager to rearrange memory.

The tool "PAR" can convert between files and file stream databases on the desktop. See http://www.djw.org/product/palm/par/ for details.

-- Ben Combee, DTS technical lead, PalmSource, Inc.
   Read "Combee on Palm OS" at http://palmos.combee.net/