Before you go to the trouble of being the first to make such a device
(USB_Client -> BLACK_BOX -> RS232_Serial) many palm devices contain a
serial port.  All you need to do is buy the right one (i.e. don't buy a
Palm Pilot Zire!!!).  You will need to pick up a special cable that
costs about another $30 in most cases.  All this does is bring out the
serial port to a normal connector.  I think in some designs, it also puts
a resistor across 2 pins to enable the serial port.  Done.

If you are determined to use the USB and an off-the-shelf USB to Serial
converter - I think there are a few palm devices which sport a USB host
port.  But - I think these were designed specifically to control a USB
peripheral printer. I think Sony makes one.  I would be surprised if it
will work for anything but a printer though.