Bob,

>In a nutshell then, I suppose it would be wise to have a different
>version of the software for each specific device and try to tie
>that version to the device.

Why not just include the company/device/HAL id etc as part of the encryption or
hash process on the registration code?  While it may be arguably more secure by
using those IDs as part of a decryption of a code resource, maintaining and
distributing those versions may not justify the extra hassles.

YMMV

Doug