All I'm looking for is a function that returns "true" if the T5 navigator
is present. I think I can take it from there. If someone could point me to
a step-by-step posting or spell thinks out, I will be indebted.

In simple pseudo-code:

if FtrGet(navFtrCreator, navFtrversion) succeeds
  It has a T3-style navigator/API
else
 if FtrGet(sysFileCSystem, sysFtrNumFiveWayNavVersion) succeeds
   It supports the T5/Treo650 navigator API. You could add a call to
   FtrGet(sysFileCSystem, sysFtrNumUIHardwareFlags) to see if it
   actually has the navigator hardware. Note that this call fails on
   the T5 simulator, which sucks (are you listening palmOne?).
 else
   if FtrGet(hsFtrCreator, hsFtrIDNavigationSupported) succeeds
     It supports the Treo600 navigator API
   endif
 endif
endif

Ah. Many thanks. It's working now.

The last weirdness is my condition for handling the center button of the navigator is

   if (eventP->data.keyDown.chr == vchrRockerCenter)

is not being entered, because eventP->data.keyDown.chr is being set to 0x13D and vchrRockerCenter is defined as 0x0136. So, I hardwired my condition as

   if (eventP->data.keyDown.chr == 0x13D) // navigator center

which did the trick -- any idea why that is?

Thanks,
Rich