palmDev,

>and then goto the Prefs app I see the System volume set to OFF but
>yet when i move the arrow keys i still here it clicking.

Search the archives.  You are doing it right, but the problem is that the sound
volume preferences are read in after a reset, and then simply retained in an
internal variable.  Updating the preferences database has no audible effect
until the next reset, when the value is read again.

The prefs panel not only changes the database, but also uses an undocumented
"system-use only" function to alter the cached internal variable.   More detail
is in the archives.  This subject comes up from time to time...

Doug