Subject: Multiple program versions
From: Mark Chauvin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2005 05:49:11 -0800 (PST)

I've got some users that are getting lock-up errors on
their Palms while running my program.  A typical error
says Memory manager, null pointer, press reset.  It
seems random and I can't recreate it.  This has
happened after they've upgraded to the latest version
of the program.  Is it possible some fragments of the
old program are still there?  If there's a program
myprog_v1.0.prc loaded, and I send them
myprog_v1.1.prc, and they load it, then version 1.1
gets installed, but in the program
files\palm\user\backup directory, BOTH prc files are
there.  The next time they do a hard reset, are both
going to be loaded?  Could this be causing a problem?

I had to change the Palm OS name of one of my programs once and it can get ugly.
(I presume the Palm OS name is the same as your PC name, less the ".prc")

My advice is don't do it unless you really want to deal with multiple instances of the program.

Note that the version number is a separate field and doesn't need to be embedded in the file name.

I suggest you standardize on a single Palm OS file name that includes your crID.

Then put code into that program, executed when it first loads, to look for any other programs with the same crID and delete them.

Roger Stringer
Marietta Systems, Inc. (www.rf-tp.com)