Subject: Re: PODS vs CodeWarrior
From: Mikhail Barashkov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2005 11:30:03 +0200

> > CodeWarrior, as far as  know, will not be further developed for
> PalmOS > platform (i.e. Cobalt support, etc).
>

> Has there been any official word from Metrowerks about this?

No. It's just rumors.
I would switch to PODS, now CW, anyway.

Right now Codewarrior v9.3 is the best development platform for C and C++ programs on all Palm OS devices up to and including all OS 5 devices. But there's no evidence that there'll be a Codewarrior option for OS6 devices, and that's where PODS comes into play.

If you are using GCC and are happy with it, then by all means stick with it. This is a perfectly good option, especially if you are familiar with it.

If you need a free compiler today or your are developing on non-Windows, go with GCC, but if you afford a few hundred dollars and have an XP or NT class Windows system, you should license Codewarrior v9.0 and then apply the (free) upgrades to turn it into v9.3.
Mac users have the option of Codewarrior v8, but not v9.

Based on public commentary, PODS is really still a beta-mode product, and you should probably only use it if you are doing native OS6 development. We should expect its status to improve progressively.

Roger Stringer Marietta Systems, Inc. (www.rf-tp.com)