Hi and thank you for your answer, I was hoping to hear from you.

I was already thinking about this after examining the Font.c and the private
header.

Here is what I think:
  1. The fontMap is contracted on the fly.
  2. A fake subfont featuring few unused "character codes" is added to the
system.
  3. On a first run we run a "calibration loop" - set the starting subfont
index to 0 and create the master font and the subfont; call CharWidth() for say
3 or 30 (no matter) of the unused chars; on !=expected widths - undefined the
two fonts, increase the subfont index; do it again until success.

Should take a up to a second to calibrate the font. May even calibrate it on
every run if this is fast enough.

What do you think about this?

I have one more question â is there a decent way to extract all the printable
char codes on a Japanese device? To clarify âall the printableâ I mean all
the char codes that are in the hierarchical âstdFontâ and need to be in my
replacement font for the replacement to be valid?

I need to completely replace the font, as to keep the input of the system â
if it was for printing only, there would be no FontType involved at all.

Please, share your thoughts!
Best,
Ilia.