I am not aware of a supported way to put anything except text into a field.  If
you were to try and cheat and draw to the area owned by the field, I'm pretty
sure that whatever you drew would not scroll with the text.

If you look on the Microsoft website, under the user interface element they
call a "List", there is an example of how to implement a hierarchial list, such
as the folder tree in the left pane of Windows Explorer.  The algorithm for
display is recursive, and actually rather short and simple, if I remember right.

Palm does not have a List, but it does have Tables, and you might be able to
get this to do what you need.  I have never used Tables myself, and hear that
they are hard to implement, but it might be worth a look.