I don't think PalmOS Garnet is dead by any means. The Treo is selling like hot cakes. Importantly it is selling to the high end of the market that buys software. Most Symbian users don't know that they have a symbian based phone and wouldn't have the first clue how to install a 3rd party application.

Regarding Cobalt. I think palmSource will try to do something with it in their Linux based development. I am not going to waste any time over this new stuff until I see a device or a press release from a major device maker saying that they will be supporting it in the near future. Has anyone ever seen any announcement from any major device maker regarding Cobalt? There was a ton of noise prior to the release of Garnet devices and the same would have happened with Cobalt if it was ever to see the light of day.

Garnet was developed in close cooperation with Palm and Sony and my hope is that the new Linux initiative is done in the same way. Otherwise I fear that it too will suffer the same fate as Cobalt. I have my theories as to why no device maker was interested in Cobalt but that is another story. There are a lot of small developers wasting their time with Cobalt.

Mikhail Barashkov wrote:

Jonathan King wrote:

I'm not sure where you get this 'general consensus' from, but I believe
Cobalt is far from dead.

It is nearly dead and will die if we won't see any devices this year... And PalmOS will eventually die, too, without multitasking, etc.

Mikhail Barashkov