I would like implement some basic support for the 5-way navigator in an
application I'm maintaining. I already use the "up" and "down" directions, by
looking for keyDownEvent with chr == vchrPageUp and vchrPageDown. So far, so
good.

>From looking at the Events.h and Chars.h headers, it looks like I should be
>able to handle the other 3 directions similarly; e.g. the usual "exit to
>Launcher" behavior should be a simple matter of looking for a keyHoldEvent
>with chr == vchrRockerCenter. BUT: no such luck; I never see such events.
>Whenever I press left, right, or center, I get keyDownEvents with chr ==
>vchrPalmMin+3 and chr == vchrResetAutoOff; never any keyHoldEvent or
>keyUpEvent (which the API docs lead me to expect I should get, since these are
>hardware keys).

Is there a device-independent way to read the 5-way navigator? I notice that
all the apps I have on my T|E, including all the standard apps *and* all
third-party apps, at least support the "hold center to quit" behavior, so I'm
guessing it can be done, but the docs I got with the SDK are no help (or maybe
I just can't figure out where to look).

Any help would be appreciated!

 - Thomas