A palm OS tbmp resource is going to be a lot bigger than a jpeg because
palm bitmaps are stored with either no or lossless compression. Jpegs
are highly compressed. On the device/sim, bitmaps may look grainy if you
do not set the screen mode to 16-bit. Set the screen to its highest
depth with WinScreenMode.

The
> images look fine in constructor, they look like they've retained the
> detail and depth of the original JPG, but when running in the
Simulator
> (or an actual device, I checked there too), the image looks grainy.
Any