> I note that recompiling the dll for C and not C++ was recommended
at the Borland user group site.

Yes, but they had imperfect knowledge of the problem. Sync20.dll does not use C++ (at least in presenting anything externally) or it would not be callable from anything but C++. It uses straight C calling conventions, which is how I am able to call things in it from Delphi. There are no classes in anything to do with exported functions from that DLL, only structs. These are all defined in a header file (syncmgr.h IIRC).

However, there is other code in many C++ conduit examples which does rely on MFC, but it is all the conduit code, not the calls to sync20.dll routines. Whether or not you had one of those examples, I have no idea. Just because you asked for one without doesn't mean you got it :-)

> The fine points of linking, in terms of linking with code within dll'

You should not be linking with a DLL at compile time. That's why they are dynamic link libraries - the calls to them only happen at runtime.

It's been a long time since I did any C programming in Windows, but I didn't think running IMPDEF was required in this case. All the definitions are in syncmgr.h (including the fact that the functions are obtained from a DLL), and there is a sync20.lib file already in the CDK. I thought that was all you needed.

I don't want to drag this out, as I seem to have found a solution using COM
and VB 5.0, which didn't prove to be the nightmare I had begun to anticipate
given the way in which COM seems to be perceived by some.

It's COM in general, not those COM components in particular that I was commenting about. It just sucks as a technology.

As long as you have something working, that's the main thing.

Cheers,
Jim Cooper

Jim Cooper    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
              Skype : jim.cooper
Tabdee Ltd    http://www.tabdee.ltd.uk

TurboSync - Connecting Delphi to your Palm