[cross posted] on PEF, better to have answer here:

On 1/12/06, Shimon Shnitzer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I have a bitmap (160x160) I use as a background for my app.
> Now with DIA my screen opens to 160x240 or 240x160, and I
> need to to fill the screen with a bitmap.
>
> I found if I use a 240x240 bitmap as a resource, it works, but -
> the bitmap is twice in size, and I dont want to bloat my app
> this way. What I thought I will do is use the old 160x160 bitmap,
> and expand it if needed o 240x240 programatically.
> Is there a way you guys are aware of to do it ?

you can implement your own scaling algorithm to go from
160x160 -> 240x240. the concept is that you'll make a
2x2 grid a 3x3 one. thats the basis for your scaling.

you can try this:

[A][B]
[C][D]

becomes
[A][E][B]
[G][X][H]
[C][F][D]

E = avg(A+B)
F = avg(C+D)
G = avg(A+C)
H = avg(B+D)
X = avg(E+F)

you can write scalers quite quickly; obviously, there are better techniques.
however, faster = lower quality, slower = better quality. it really depends on
the bitmap as well.

--
// Aaron Ardiri