Check out SuperWaba if you are concerned about the future of Palm
OS... It's cross platform:
- Palm OS 3.0 or higher
- Windows CE 2.11 or higher, Pocket PC, .Net
- Symbian 7.0 and 7.0s
- Windows 98 or higher (SuperWaba based applications runs on the
desktop computers without Java Runtime Environment)
- Linux desktop.

Truthfully, I don't think this is as big a deal as others are making
it out to be. Palm is just trying to get out of funding development
next generation OSes that don't meet their needs. PalmSource probably
missed some key functionality that Palm needed for their Treo line of
Smartphones.

As the largest licensee of PalmOS Palm has considerable leverage with
PalmSource.
I expect Palm is seeking to take over ownership of Garnet, so they can
continue to maintain and improve it as a viable platform for the
indefinate future. (Much of their revenue still depends on it). Think
about the transformation Microsoft made from MS-DOS to Windows 16 bit
running on top of DOS to windows 32 bit running on top of DOS, and
finally to where we are today; Windows 32 and 64 bit running on top of
a modern operating system (Windows NT kernel).

Palm will most likely make considerable improvements to the kernel,
while maintaining the PACE 68K ABI. I expect that in addition to the
PACE 68K ABI, Palm is also working on a stronger implementation of
J2ME as a backup plan. Currently J2ME doesn't meet the needs of the
majority of Palm OS developers, but with relatively minor enhancements
in functionality and major enhancements in how the KVM interacts with
a new improved Palm kernel, could provide a very viable second
application programming framework. (It would also help if Palm's
implementation of J2ME supported precompiling to native ARM code).

It's become clear to the world and dog that PalmSource has no interest
in evolutionary enhancements to Garnet, and want to dump support in
favor of ALP. Palm views this as unacceptable, and probably feels a
need to take over maintenance of their mainline OS, that is being
abandonded by PalmSource. (They do afterall own the rights to the
PalmOS name, and it would really be apropos for Palm OS's future to
rest with Palm).

With all the confusion running amok regarding this licensing issue, it
would be prudent for Palm to release a statement to developers,
clarifying their position.

Cheers,
-Brian
http://devtreo.net/

P.S. - These are just my thoughts, I have no insight into Palm
management's plans. I am just trying to put myself in their shoes, and
imagine what I would do if I were them.