Thanks a lot, Ciaran, for your reply.

On 2011 Feb 02, #Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
> On Tue, 1 Feb 2011 02:08:17 +0100
> Marc Duponcheel <m...@offline.be> wrote:
> >  I am (almost) cinvinced and ready to switch from portage to paludis
> > as main build chroot. But there is one thing I like about portage that
> > I don't know how to do with paludis: get rid of old shared libraries
> > automatically.
>
> Paludis gets rid of old shared libraries straight away. It will never
> leave your system littered with old, unusable and buggy libraries the
> way preserved-rebuild does.

 Perhaps I use wrong commands
(forgive me my newbie habits):
# cave sync
# cave resolve world --execute --complete
# cave resolve system --execute --complete
# cave resolve installed-packages --execute --complete
# cave resolve installed-slots --execute --complete

 After doing so I was left with 2 libwv shared libraries (note same timestamp):
# ls -al /usr/lib/libwv-*.so*
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 328508 Jan 31 23:32 /usr/lib/libwv-1.2.so.3
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root     18 Jan 31 23:32 /usr/lib/libwv-1.2.so.4 ->
libwv-1.2.so.4.0.5
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 336880 Jan 31 23:32 /usr/lib/libwv-1.2.so.4.0.5
 also:
# cave owner /usr/lib/libwv-1.2.so.3
app-text/wv-1.2.9:0::installed
# cave owner /usr/lib/libwv-1.2.so.4.0.5
app-text/wv-1.2.9:0::installed

 But abiword (which happened to need  libwv) was still linked against
libwv-1.2.so.3,
 so I rebuilt abiword:
# cave resolve abiword --execute
 and abiword now links against libwv-1.2.so.4
# ldd $(which abiword) | grep libwv
        libwv-1.2.so.4 => /usr/lib/libwv-1.2.so.4 (0xf6f16000)

 As double check I rebuilt wv
# cave resolve wv --execute
 that did not remove libwv-1.2.so.3 but did say:
 * Old versions of installed libraries were detected on your system.
 * In order to avoid breaking packages that depend on these old libs,
 * the libraries are not being removed.  You need to run revdep-rebuild
 * in order to remove these old dependencies.  If you do not have this
 * helper program, simply emerge the 'gentoolkit' package.
 *
 *   # revdep-rebuild --library '/usr/lib/libwv-1.2.so.3'
 *
 * Once you've finished running revdep-rebuild, it should be safe to
 * delete the old libraries.  Here is a copy & paste for the lazy:
 *   # rm '/usr/lib/libwv-1.2.so.3'

> >  For example: today libwv went from 1.2.so.3 to 1.2.so.4 and recent
> > portage puts abiword in the dynamic set @preserved-rebuild. Older
> > portage would delete 1.2.so.3 and required a revdep-rebuild. But
> > recent portage figures all out on its own. Paludis on the other hand
> > does not delete 1.2.so.3 but does not propose to rebuild abiword
> > either. So, without help, I will end up with multiple versions of same
> > library and various binaries linked against different versions.
> >
> >  Is there a way paludis can tell a new major version of a shared
> > library is installed and summarize which binaries need to be rebuild?
>
> Use Portage to fix up the mess Portage made of your system, then
> switch.

 I am building using paludis -only. A said, as excercise, I have 2
build environments for my (slow) EeePC 32bit chrooted on a (fast)
[64bit 2x16core opteron] machine so I can attempt to learn by comparing both.

 For now I rsync the portage chroot to the real machine but I am (almost) ready
to switch to paludis.

I should not forget to say:
 Congratulations with your software !!!!

--
 Marc Duponcheel
 Velodroomstraat 74 - 2600 Berchem - Belgium