On Sun, 10 Apr 2011 19:54:06 +0100
Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccre...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> That one's easy to explain: we create GNU tar files if your libarchive
> is new enough to support it (which means SCM), but we have to fall back
> to PAX if you're running 2.8.

Yes, I read about this in documentation, but forgot.

So, I could not test paludis with libarchive-scm and paxballs.

By the way, I learned a little more about archive formats, and it seems
that pax is the best option because it is specified by POSIX and is
«the most flexible and feature-rich format». GNU tar program is going
to use it by default in the future; it prints warnings about unknown
attributes, but I didn’t get errors on extraction of pax with it. So
why to use gnu-tar format then?