PAMBAZUKA NEWS 100
A weekly electronic newsletter for social justice in Africa

CONTENTS: 1. Editorial, 2. Conflict, Emergencies, and Crises, 3. Rights and
Democracy, 4. Corruption, 5. Health, 6. Education and Social Welfare, 7. Women
and Gender, 8. Refugees and Forced Migration, 9. Racism and Xenophobia, 10.
Environment, 11. Media, 12. Development, 13. Internet and Technology, 14.
eNewsletters and Mailing Lists, 15. Fundraising, 16. Courses, Seminars, and
Workshops, 17. Advocacy Resources, 18. Jobs, 19. Books and Arts, 20. Letters
and Comments

If you have e-mail access, you can get web resources listed in this Newsletter
by sending a message to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with the web address (usually
starting with http://) in the body of your message.

Want to get off our subscriber list? Write to [EMAIL PROTECTED] and
your address will be removed immediately!
/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\

1.EDITORIAL

PUBLIC BROADCASTING - ELECTIONS, DEMOCRACY AND HUMAN RIGHTS IN AFRICA
Rotimi Sankore
The history of public broadcasting in Africa in relation to elections,
democracy and human rights can be mostly summarised in six words, "abuse of
power by incumbent governments". This may seem harsh, but this is the truth.

>From Egypt to Zimbabwe, Gambia to Ethiopia and in almost every country between
the four points of and centre of Africa - North, South, West, East and Central
Africa - most governments have converted the power of public broadcasting to
the abysmally selfish motive of sustaining themselves in power - indefinitely
if possible.

Were this to be of no consequence to the social, political and economic
development of African countries and the continent as a whole, this observation
could be considered an exercise in intellectual ball juggling. However given
the unrivalled power of the broadcast media to shape public opinion, its
continued abuse by numerous African governments can be likened to the use of a
dis-information nuclear option by governments against their own people.

How has the abuse of the broadcast media by these governments been used to
damage the development of Africa and what can be done to end it? The first and
most blatant indicator of the abuse of public broadcasting in Africa is its now
infamous description as 'state broadcasting'. 'State' radio and television are
often seen as one of the prizes of capturing power.

The dangerous consequence of this is that public radio and television are seen
as a means to propagate the opinion and agenda of governments or the state to
the exclusion of the rest of society. In the 'state' controlled media, the
interests of the state are merged with that of the ruling regime, and its
leadership. The interests of the leadership in turn become the 'public
interest.' The 'state' media is therefore used to, and sees its role as that of
promoting the interest of the state, the ruling party or regime and its
leadership - all of which have become indistinguishable from each other and
the 'public interest'. Going by this, any opinions or events that may be
opposed to or embarrass the 'state' are often not transmitted by the state
broadcaster since this is assumed not to be in the interest of the public, i.e.
state, i.e. leadership of the ruling regime.

The clearest manifestation of this can be seen in the role of the 'state' media
during most elections in Africa. The ruling party and its candidates are given
wall-to-wall coverage, and everything good that happens is attributed to them
with the possible exception of sunrise. The opposition on the other hand are
excluded from or allocated the minimum coverage possible, which is almost
always bad news. In the present world context of the "war against terrorism",
legitimate activity of the democratic opposition could even be portrayed
as "terrorist activity". Even paid or sponsored election campaign
advertisements are not guaranteed airtime and have been considered subversive.
We saw this happen in Zimbabwe and again to a lesser extent during the recent
Kenyan elections in December 2002.

Most opposition parties complain bitterly only because they are victims of such
abuse. However, their philosophical perception of public broadcasting is no
different from that of incumbent governments.

The primary implication of denying the legitimate and democratic opposition
appropriate visibility to the public via equitable access to the public
broadcast media is the lack of a level playing field for competing political
ideas. This applies not only to elections, but also to in-between elections
when the 'state' media bombards the public with a constant stream of subtle and
overt propaganda.

The secondary implication of this is that anything that is perceived as being
of possible help to the opposition is censored by the state controlled
broadcast media. Censorship as we know, leads to lack of accountability, and
lack of accountability reinforces dictatorship. In countries where the private
or independent print media is located mainly in the cities, or where income and
illiteracy limit their scope, the broadcast media becomes the eyes and ears of
most of society. Since government with the exception of FM stations with
limited reach largely controls the broadcast media, state control and abuse of
the public media is bound to give governments an unhealthy capacity to control
the flow of news and information. Such control lends itself easily to the
manipulation of public opinion and thus society.

For instance, where there is an impending famine and tens or even hundreds of
thousands are facing mass starvation, as is presently the case in southern
Africa and the Horn of Africa, news of this is censored. In other words, the
public is denied the benefit of advance warning, knowing the causes of this,
and debating potential short and long-term solutions in the public broadcast
media. The lack of a collective sense of impending disaster and the opportunity
of collective preparation for it means the first that the public knows of a
famine is when it has actually hit them.

But state censorship is only fully effective when backed with the full force of
the levers of power. This means the subversion of democracy and in particular
freedom of expression and opinion by means of manipulating public broadcasting
is necessarily followed by the suppression of human rights in general, and
media freedom in particular. This highlights the fact that media freedom cannot
be secured in isolation from other pillars of democracy such as the right to
freedoms of association, assembly, political participation and rights to be
free from discrimination and persecution.

It is therefore not out of place to posit that an open and accountable public
media, which is guaranteed its editorial independence and facilitates equitable
access to all shades of opinion in society is vital alongside other factors, to
the sustenance of democracy.

In order to achieve this several specific steps must be taken.

Firstly, civil society must campaign unrelentlessly for the appointment process
of boards and senior editorial and management staff of the public broadcast
media to be removed from the control of executive arms of government. This
campaign must involve all sectors of society, the professional associations,
trade unions, NGO's and so forth. The body overseeing these appointments
together with parliament must also reflect this diversity.

Secondly, principles of editorial independence and the protection of
journalists from political persecution for refusing overtures from political
interests must guide parliamentary oversight. This editorial independence must
go along with the media's obligation to promote accountability in both the
public and other sectors of society.

Thirdly, media freedom must be guaranteed for both the print and electronic,
private or independent media.

Fourthly, freedom of expression must be a constitutionally protected right that
cannot be curtailed arbitrarily. Civil society must also make it clear, that
for the political opposition to be accepted as legitimate, it should also sign
up to these principles and not just oppose the government opportunistically.

With specific regard to elections, certain principles are essential and must be
institutionalised in respect of the public broadcast media:

- Guaranteed equitable access to publicly owned broadcast media for all
political parties.

- A commitment to voter education with respect to the voting process, venues,
times, political parties and candidates.

- A limited number of brief and free slots for electoral campaign broadcasts be
given to all political parties to outline their programme and candidates at
relevant levels of government. This will ensure that at least all parties and
candidates are given the equitable visibility necessary for genuine democracy.

- A ceiling on the fees to be charged by all broadcast media for any additional
election campaign broadcasts.

- A ceiling on the total number of election campaign broadcasts that any one
political party and its candidates can run over the period of the campaigns.
This will prevent the outright buying of the elections by parties backed by
richer members of society.

- No discounts to any one political party for paid election campaign broadcasts.

- A code of conduct and ethics regarding what is appropriate to run in an
election advert or campaign. This will also cover incitement, hate speech,
defamation and other standards agreed in advance by all parties.

- No turning away of campaign adverts of any party to the advantage of other
parties.

- The rights of reply and correction for candidates that may have been defamed.

- That the publicly owned media must not to be used by incumbent political
parties to attack other political parties, and that ruling parties in
particular not undermine the editorial independence of the broadcast media.

- Guarantee of the safety and security of journalists, editorial and management
staff, and media houses that exercise the right to editorial independence.

- Fair, balanced and equitable news coverage of political party campaign
activities especially during news broadcasts. This should include
distinguishing between government activities and campaigning.

- An agreement on fair, balanced and equitable coverage of election debates.

- No broadcasting of speculative results that may truncate the will of the
electorate and lead to conflict or violence based on electoral disputes. Any
results broadcast should be based on results obtained from polling stations and
agreed by agents of all parties present. Also, that coverage of disputed
results not be broadcast in such a manner that is inflammatory and could lead
to violent conflict.

Significantly, these requirements for the public broadcast media to be able to
play its role in facilitating democracy are not unique to Africa. Some of these
and more are currently applicable in many countries around the world including
in Africa. However, many countries around the world including the majority of
African ones are yet to institutionalise these and other principles not
outlined here. The institutionalisation of these principles is one of the
urgent tasks facing African civil society and there must be no delay.

But this is not a task for African civil society alone. The African Union must
prove its relevance by not only adopting these principles, but also ensuring
that its member states implement them.

* Sankore is Coordinator of CREDO for Freedom of Expression and Associated
Rights an international organisation focussing on rights issues in Africa.
* Send comments on this editorial to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

PAMBAZUKA NEWS: 100 ISSUES OLD

We hope readers will join us in celebrating the 100th issue of Pambazuka News.
We thank you for the support you have given. Many have said they find this
newsletter a powerful tool for social justice: share that tool. Encourage
others to subscribe!

/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\
2.CONFLICT, EMERGENCIES, AND CRISES

CAR: GOVERNMENT TROOPS RECAPTURE TWO TOWNS
http://www.irinnews.org/report.asp?ReportID=32355
Central African Republic (CAR) government forces, backed by the Mouvement de
liberation du Congo (MLC) from neighbouring Democratic Republic of the Congo
(DRC), have recaptured the towns of Bozoum and Sibut, Radio France
Internationale reported on Sunday.

DRC-UGANDA: MUSEVENI CONVENES CABINET TO DISCUSS DRC
http://www.irinnews.org/report.asp?ReportID=32302
Ugandan President Yoweri Museveni convened a special cabinet meeting on Friday
in the capital, Kampala, to discuss a report on allegations that Ugandan army
officers were involved in looting natural resources in the Democratic Republic
of the Congo (DRC), according to The New Vision government-owned newspaper.

DRC: REBEL GROUP BLOCKS PEACE IN NORTHEAST
The top United Nations envoy for the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) has
said he would seek Security Council action if a rebel group did not stop
blocking peace efforts in the Ituri region, where half a million people have
been displaced, women raped and many children enlisted as soldiers.
Related Link:
* Ituri peace accord postponed
http://www.irinnews.org/report.asp?ReportID=32359
Further details: http://www.pambazuka.org/newsletter.php?id=13440

ETHIOPIA: CALL FOR LONG-LASTING SOLUTIONS TO THE HUNGER CRISIS
http://www.christian-aid.org.uk/news/media/pressrel/030217p.htm
In a major new report Christian Aid examines the underlying causes of the
current food shortage crisis in Ethiopia. 'Nothing to fall back on' says that
Ethiopia will remain on the brink of catastrophe unless the root causes of
poverty are attacked.

IVORY COAST: SHOWDOWN TIME IS NIGH, SAY IVORY COAST REBELS
http://www.thestar.co.za/index.php?fSectionId=132&fArticleId=49161
Rebels controlling the north of Ivory Coast have been shuttling between West
African capitals to rally support for their ultimatum to launch all-out war
unless they are given seats in the government. Meanwhile, rebels in the western
Ivorian city of Man, where human rights groups have found several mass graves
and estimate that up to 12 000 people have died since September, claim that
government troops had been responsible for most of the killings.

LIBERIA: SIERRA LEONEAN KAMAJORS FIGHTING WITH LURD, GOVERNMENT SAYS
http://www.irinnews.org/report.asp?ReportID=32312
Liberia's government said on Thursday that former Kamajor militiamen from
Sierra Leone were fighting alongside the rebel Liberians United Reconciliation
and Democracy (LURD) in the western part of the country.

SOMALIA: CONFUSION AS TALKS' DELEGATES RELOCATE
http://www.irinnews.org/report.asp?ReportID=32323
Delegates to the Somali peace talks, arriving at the new venue in Nairobi from
the western Kenyan town of Eldoret, have been greeted by chaos and confusion.

SOMALIA: IS SOMALIA A SAFE-HAVEN FOR TERRORISTS?
http://www.africanconflict.org/article.php?sid=334&mode=thread&order=0
It was no surprise to many observers when the US led war on terror turned its
spotlight on Somalia during their operation in Afghanistan. But any
confrontation between the most industrialized country and a country at the
bottom of the human development index would be a catastrophe beyond
imagination, says this commentary on the web site of the African Conflict
Journal.

SOMALIA: OPTIMISM ABOUT THE FUTURE - EVEN IF WAR CONTINUES
http://www.ipsnews.net/africa/interna.asp?idnews=16140
Despite the slow progress at peace talks aimed at ending more than a decade of
anarchy in Somalia, the UN Children's Fund (UNICEF) is optimistic about the
future - even if the war continues. Steven Lauwerier was UNICEF's project
officer based in Baidoa, in southern Somalia, until fighting broke out there
late last year. He says progress is being made because UNICEF are now investing
in people rather than infrastructure.

SOUTH AFRICA: ANTI-TERRORISM BILL AIDS AND ABETS AMERICAN IMPERIALISM
One of the first draft laws the South African Parliament will debate this year
is the Anti-Terrorism Bill. This article from the Freedom of Expression
Institute says the bill poses a threat to domestic activism and betrays the
political history of the ruling ANC by preventing other international
liberation movements from charting a similar course to its own.
Further details: http://www.pambazuka.org/newsletter.php?id=13480

SOUTH AFRICA: PROTEST AGAINST WAR ON IRAQ
http://www.africapulse.org/index.php?action=viewarticle&articleid=972
In an unprecedented show of unity, groups and individuals from across the
political and social spectrum, men and women, young and old, from all sectors
of society and from all shades of political opinion, all colours, religious
beliefs and convictions came together at Johannesburgs Library Gardens to
oppose the threatened war against Iraq. Similar marches took place in Durban
and Cape Town.
Related Link:
* Memorandum of demands to US and UK governments
http://www.africapulse.org/index.php?action=viewarticle&articleid=969

SOUTHERN AFRICA: RESPONDING TO THE FOOD CRISIS
http://www.africapulse.org/index.php?action=viewarticle&articleid=967
Southern Africa is struggling through its second major food shortage in a
decade. The latest SADC Regional Food Security Emergency Assessment forecasts
that the cereal harvest this year will be well below normal in areas that are
already affected by food shortages. This implies that some 15,2 million people,
concentrated in Lesotho, Zimbabwe, Zambia, Swaziland, Malawi and Mozambique,
will require food aid for a lengthy period.

ZIMBABWE: FOOD SHORTAGES LEAD TO COPING STRATEGIES
Many households were reported to be using 'coping' strategies to deal with food
shortages, says a December/January report from The National NGO Food Security
Network (FOSENET). These strategies included asset sales, school dropout,
leaving home areas, and consumption of potentially toxic 'famine foods' that
may have long term negative effects on households already impoverished by
economic decline, unemployment, land hunger and HIV/AIDS. In the district of
Mutare Rural people were reported to be moving away from their homes because of
hunger. "This would need to be followed up as it is the first time an outflow
of this nature has been reported and could signal a transition from food
insecurity to more extreme famine type responses," said the report.
Further details: http://www.pambazuka.org/newsletter.php?id=13399
/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\
3.RIGHTS AND DEMOCRACY

AFRICA/GLOBAL: SHOWDOWN
http://www.zmag.org/content/showarticle.cfm?SectionID=41&ItemID=3067
Even the New York Times was forced to admit it, after the mammoth Feb. 15-16
anti-war demonstrations: "There may still be two superpowers on the planet: the
United States and world public opinion." But the next round of the struggle
must begin, says this www.zmag.org article. It concludes: "If movements for
social change unswervingly seek diversity, solidarity, equity, and self-
management  peace and justice  and if they do it in a manner and with a tone
and with tactics all of which seek to empower the weak and to meet the needs of
the poor, they/we can win this struggle  and the struggle I have in mind to
win, the one I think we are all in, is not just over a reform here or there
and it is not just over peace now and then - it is a struggle over who will
decide the future and who the future will serve. Showdown indeed." Visit
www.unitedforpeace.org/ for additional news about the campaign against war on
Iraq.

AFRICA: CIVIL SOCIETY, HUMAN RIGHTS AND DEVELOPMENT
http://www.peacestudiesjournal.org.uk/
It is obvious that African concepts of human rights and civil society differ
from those in the Western world, concludes this paper in the Peace Studies
Journal. In addition, the traditional concept of civil society has been used
and exploited in the past by Western colonial authorities to achieve their
interests. "The question therefore is to what extent the much-touted concept of
civil society and its accompanying NGO mushrooming on the continent can offer
any real hope for redeeming Africa's plight and giving us a means of hope for
liberation and development."

CAMEROON: ICFTU DENOUNCES HARASSMENT AND DETENTION OF TRADE UNIONISTS
The International Confederation of Free Trade Unions has expressed alarm at the
unprecedented wave of repression against Cameroon trade unionists in recent
days, which culminated on 12 February in the arrest for the second time of
Benot Essiga, President of the ICFTU-affiliated Confederation syndicale des
travailleurs du Cameroun (CSTC).
Further details: http://www.pambazuka.org/newsletter.php?id=13349

DRC: SECURITY COUNCIL HEARS OF 'GROSS VIOLATIONS' OF HUMAN RIGHTS
Deeply concerned by the continuous heavy fighting in the Democratic Republic of
the Congo (DRC), despite the signing of ceasefire agreements, two top United
Nations officials have briefed the Security Council on the military situation
and the deteriorating human rights conditions in that country. Information
gathered "reveals that prosecution on ethnic and tribal grounds, extortion of
property, rape and other forms of sexual violence against women, extra-judicial
executions, and the forced recruitment of children are being committed."
Further details: http://www.pambazuka.org/newsletter.php?id=13347

GUINEA-BISSAU: POLITICIANS ARRESTED
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/2768181.stm
Police in Guinea-Bissau have detained five prominent opposition politicians -
including a former prime minister. The arrests come as the country prepares for
early elections on 20 April.

KENYA: AMNESTY ISSUES HUMAN RIGHTS MEMO TO GOVERNMENT
http://allafrica.com/stories/200302180577.html
As the new Government takes office Amnesty International has called on the
newly-elected leaders to commit themselves to respect and uphold the
fundamental rights and freedoms of the people, enshrined in domestic law as
well as in the international human rights treaties signed and ratified by Kenya.

KENYA: GOVERNMENT PLEDGES TO INVESTIGATE RIGHTS VIOLATIONS
http://www.irinnews.org/report.asp?ReportID=32285
A section of the human rights fraternity in Kenya has welcomed the new
government's intention to open up fresh inquiries into human rights violations
attributed to the previous Kenya African National Union (KANU) government.

LIBERIA: AMNESTY CALLS FOR RELEASE OF RIGHTS ACTIVIST
http://allafrica.com/stories/200302170684.html
Amnesty International (AI) last Friday called on the Liberian government to
release Aloysius Toe, a leading human rights activist, saying he was due to be
tried on a trumped-up treason charge. "Toe has done nothing but work
legitimately for the defense of fundamental human rights in Liberia. He should
not be in prison and not on trial," AI said in a press statement.

LIBERIA: THE ROAD TO THE BALLOT BOX SEEMS ROCKY
http://www.ipsnews.net/africa/interna.asp?idnews=16059
The road to the ballot box in Liberia's political contest seems to be rocky as
insecurity, violence and intimidation of political opponents rise in the run up
to October's general elections. The race kicked off a few days ago with
attacks, arrests and intimidation of political opponents and in one case the
shooting of an opposition activist - raising the questions of insecurity,
unhindered canvassing and level-playing field in the forthcoming elections.

MALAWI: AN EYE ON DEMOCRACY - CONFUSION WITHIN THE REGIME
http://www.africapulse.org/index.php?action=viewarticle&articleid=982
Although the National Assembly has attempted to water down some democratic
precepts by the numerous amendments that they have allowed, the fact remains
that the spirit and purpose of democracy still exists in our supreme law. The
many attempts, including the removal of the recall provision, the abolishing of
the second chamber, and the senate so far have not fully eroded the basic
spirit of democracy and the accountability of the Executive through the
peoples representatives.

SOUTH AFRICA: MBEKI'S SPEECH POSITIVE, SAYS IDASA
http://www.idasa.org.za
In the state of the nation address, which was wide-ranging, positive, ambitious
and delivery-orientated, President Mbeki sought to provide fresh hope for the
poor, says the Institute for democracy in South Africa (Idasa).
Related Link:
* The State of the Nation Address - an Epoliticssa briefing
http://www.africapulse.org/index.php?action=viewarticle&articleid=963

TANZANIA: GROUP LAUNCHES FIRST ANNUAL HUMAN RIGHTS REPORT
Tanzania's first annual home-grown human rights report has highlighted
continued abuses of police power, low levels of awareness about human rights,
abuses of economic and cultural rights and the tabling of several constricting
bills in parliament amongst its major concerns.
Further details: http://www.pambazuka.org/newsletter.php?id=13410

UGANDA: MUSEVENI HINTS AT MULTI-PARTY POLITICS
http://allafrica.com/stories/200302190448.html
President Yoweri Museveni has recommended that Uganda should open up to
multiparty politics. Top Movement sources told 93.3 Monitor FM Newsnight
programme that the president announced the new direction on Tuesday, 18
February 2003, during a meeting at State House.

ZIMBABWE: EU SANCTIONS RENEWED
http://www.thestar.co.za/index.php?fSectionId=132&fArticleId=50656
Protests marked Zimbabwean President Robert Mugabe's controversial first
official visit to Europe for more than a year. On the day European Union travel
sanctions were renewed for a year against him, he, his wife and about 70 other
members of the Zimbabwean leadership flew into the French capital by private
plane and checked into a five-star hotel.
Related Links:
* Obasanjo, Mbeki Move Could Plunge Country Into Violence
http://allafrica.com/stories/200302130394.html
* Letter from Obasanjo to Howard
http://www.africapulse.org/index.php?action=viewarticle&articleid=964

ZIMBABWE: HIGH COURT JUDGE ARRESTED
http://www.mg.co.za/Content/l3.asp?a=37&o=16044
Police arrested a High Court judge seen as having angered the government by
ruling against it, accusing him of corruption, state television reported on
Monday.

ZIMBABWE: MUGABE MAY FACE TORTURE CHARGE AT PARIS SUMMIT
http://www.africapulse.org/index.php?action=viewarticle&articleid=987
The human rights campaigner Peter Tatchell will file a complaint with the
general prosecutor of Paris, requesting that Robert Mugabe, the Zimbabwean
President, be arrested on torture charges when he arrives for a two-day summit
of African leaders. The legal action, using the UN Convention Against Torture,
which France has signed, is likely to be symbolic because there is no precedent
of a foreign leader being prosecuted in France while in office.

ZIMBABWE: NGO BODY EXPRESSES CONCERN OVER TORTURE
The Southern Africa Human Rights NGO Network (SAHRINGON), consisting of human
rights NGOs' in the region, has noted with "regret" the fact that the human
rights situation in Zimbabwe has not improved since its March 2002 Presidential
and Parliamentary elections. SAHRINGON has called on the African Commission on
Human and Peoples' Rights to take note of the various incidents of torture and
increased violation of human rights in the country.
Further details: http://www.pambazuka.org/newsletter.php?id=13366

ZIMBABWE: POLICE RAID REFORM MEETING
http://www.guardian.co.uk/worldlatest/story/0,1280,-2402097,00.html
Police raided a meeting of opposition and reform groups at a church in
Zimbabwe's capital last Thursday, arresting a bishop and four human rights
activists, witnesses said. Bishop Trevor Manhanga was among those arrested.
Also arrested at the Northside Community Church were human rights lawyer Brian
Kagoro, university political scientist John Makumbe, activist John Stewart and
a church worker.

ZIMBABWE: PRESSURE ON WITNESS IN TREASON TRIAL
http://www.news24.com/News24/Zimbabwe/0,6119,2-259_1322830,00.html
The defence in the trial of Zimbabwe's opposition leader Morgan Tsvangirai on
treason charges Wednesday demanded evidence that a political consultancy firm
that exposed the alleged plot to kill President Robert Mugabe, is a bonafide
company.
Advocate George Bizos argued that the key witness Ari Ben Menashe, whom he has
previously labelled a fraudster, must provide documentary evidence that his
firm is not bogus.

ZIMBABWE: RIGHTS LAWYER SEEKS SA ASYLUM
http://www.sabcnews.com/africa/southern_africa/0,1009,52924,00.html
A Zimbabwean human rights lawyer is seeking political asylum in South Africa
after fleeing his country. Gabriel Shumba bears scars of brutal torture he
allegedly suffered at the hands of the security forces in Zimbabwe.
/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\
4.CORRUPTION

ETHIOPIA: COURT "DISMISSES" TWO CORRUPTION CHARGES, MELES OVERRULES RULING
http://www.transparency.org/cgi-bin/dcn-read.pl?citID=51675
An Addis Ababa court has dismissed corruption charges against Abate Kisho,
former President of Southern Nations, Nationalities and People's Region and Ato
Bitew Belay- former TPLF (Tigray People's Liberation Front- main partner of
ruling coalition) Central Committee member and a dissident.

KENYA: KIBAKI OPENS PARLIAMENT, VOWS TO FIGHT CORRUPTION
http://allafrica.com/stories/200302190693.html
President Kibaki has assured Kenyans that he was in charge of the nation and
that he would lead the fight against corruption from the top. Delivering his
first public address since being sworn in on December 30, Kibaki said
corruption had undermined most of Kenya's important institutions and tarnished
the reputations of Kenyan leaders.

NIGERIA: ID SCHEME KICKS OFF
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/2775695.stm
A controversial and long-delayed identity card scheme is finally been
introduced in Nigeria. Some northern politicians oppose the scheme, fearing it
will be used to cross-check other population records, including the voters
roll.

NIGERIA: NIGERIA'S EX-MILITARY DICTATOR EYES POWER AS CIVILIAN PRESIDENT
http://www.transparency.org/cgi-bin/dcn-read.pl?citID=51676
The main opposition candidate in Nigeria's April presidential elections works
in an environment of arcadian plenty that belies his reputation for harsh
asceticism. Muhammadu Buhari, a former military dictator famous for launching
an authoritarian "war on indiscipline", uses a government-owned office whose
lush gardens yield mangos, guavas and pawpaws. The view of the building from
the road is dominated by a strikingly expansive tree from whose branches brown
pods hang like socks on a washing line.

NIGERIA: OBASANJO ADMITS PROBE OF GOVERNORS
http://allafrica.com/stories/200302180308.html
President Olusegun Obasanjo has confirmed that a number of governors were being
investigated for corruption by the Independent Corrupt Practices (and-Allied
Offences) Commission (ICPC).

SOUTH AFRICA: ANC POLITICIAN GUILTY OF FRAUD
http://www.transparency.org/cgi-bin/dcn-read.pl?citID=51656
Tony Yengeni, former chief whip for South Africa's ruling African National
Congress, has pleaded guilty of fraud and was convicted by a Pretoria
magistrate. As part of a plea agreement with the state, he was acquitted of the
more serious charge of corruption.

SOUTH AFRICA: CORRUPTION IS RIFE, SAYS REPORT
http://allafrica.com/stories/200302190922.html
About 60 percent of corruption in South Africa is uncovered by official
processes, 18 percent by civil society and eight percent by the media, public
service and administration minister Geraldine Fraser-Moleketi said on
Wednesday. According to the executive summary of a report on corruption in
South Africa, released to the media by Fraser-Moleketi, whistle-blowing is
crucial to the detection of fraud and corruption.

SOUTH AFRICA: PARLIAMENT TO MOVE AGAINST WINNIE AND YENGENI
http://allafrica.com/stories/200302190918.html
The National Assembly is likely to take action against former African National
Congress chief whip Tony Yengeni for lying to Parliament when he made a special
statement proclaiming his innocence to the House on March 28 last year. It is
also understood that Parliament will soon move against ANC MP Winnie Madikizela-
Mandela soon, despite her lawsuit. Madikizela-Mandela was guilty of
contravening Parliament's code of conduct, in that she failed to disclose
donations of R50000 a month to supplement her monthly income.

UGANDA: FRAUD POSES RISKS
http://www.transparency.org/cgi-bin/dcn-read.pl?citID=51649
KPMG Uganda, a professional services company, started a three-day workshop
on 'fighting corruption and fraud' last week. During the official opening,
Jotham Tumwesigye, the Inspector General of Government said, "It has long been
recognised that corruption and fraud lurk at the very heart of our society,
business and lives. If unchecked, these vices could very well undo the gains
and hard work of the Ugandan people."

ZAMBIA: CHILUBA LOSES IMMUNITY APPEAL
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/2779615.stm
In a landmark decision, Zambia's Supreme Court has ruled that parliament acted
legally and properly last year in removing the immunity of former president
Frederick Chiluba. This means that Mr Chiluba no longer enjoys protection from
the law as guaranteed in the constitution and paves the way for an imminent
arrest on charges of corruption.
/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\
5.HEALTH

ANGOLA: ECHO AID TO BOOST HUMANITARIAN OPERATIONS
http://www.africapulse.org/index.php?action=viewarticle&articleid=986
Humanitarian operations in Angola are to receive a Euro 8 million (about 8.5 U
S million dollars) boost from the European Commission. The EC Humanitarian Aid
Office would channel the aid package through partner organisations and
international agencies operating in the country, the European Commission said
in a statement.

BOTSWANA: LIVING POSITIVELY WITH AIDS DRUGS
http://www.africapulse.org/index.php?action=viewarticle&articleid=983
In a move considered a breakthrough for a country with high levels of stigma
and discrimination, Batswana using antiretroviral drugs have come forward to
tell their stories in a series of educational videos released this week.

CONGO: EBOLA KILLS 60
http://allafrica.com/stories/200302190975.html
The United Nations World Health Organisation (WHO) is leading a joint team of
health experts and clinicians rushing to control an outbreak of the Ebola
virus, which has reportedly killed more than 60 people in the northwestern part
of the Republic of the Congo.

DRC: CHOLERA OUTBREAK 'ALARMING'
http://www.irinnews.org/report.asp?ReportID=32338
The outbreak of cholera in Mbuji-Mayi in the province of Kasai-Oriental in the
Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) "remains alarming", and the disease
continues to spread, according to the International Federation of the Red
Cross. An update issued on Wednesday said 202 deaths had been reported since
the disease broke out in September 2002.

ETHIOPIA: "DRAMATIC EFFECT" OF HIV/AIDS PREVENTION PROGRAMMES
HIV/AIDS prevention programmes have had a dramatic effect on changing risky
sexual behaviour, authors of a five-year study in Ethiopia said last Friday.
The study, which was carried out among 1,500 factory workers in Ethiopia and
started in 1997, showed a marked drop in casual sex and an increase in condom
use. Prevalence rates of the virus also plummeted.
Further details: http://www.pambazuka.org/newsletter.php?id=13348

KENYA: CALL TO REJECT WTO PROPOSAL ON DRUGS
Recent gains made in making HIV/AIDS treatment accessible and affordable to
Kenyans are being threatened by a deal currently under discussion at the World
Trade Organisation (WTO), which would severely restrict access to such drugs, a
group of local NGOs has warned. ActionAid Kenya, EcoNews and Medecins Sans
Frontieres on 14 February said the WTO meeting, convened in Tokyo, Japan, was
negotiating a proposal to restrict use of compulsory licensing for many
developing countries only to extreme national emergencies.
Further details: http://www.pambazuka.org/newsletter.php?id=13377

KENYA: MALARIA ALERT AFTER 68 DEATHS
http://allafrica.com/stories/200302190897.html
The minister for Health, Mrs Charity Ngilu, has led a high-powered delegation
of doctors on a tour of various health facilities in Kitui District, where a
malaria outbreak has killed 68 people since last month.

MALAWI: EMPOWER YOUTH, WOMEN TO FIGHT AIDS
http://www.africapulse.org/index.php?action=viewarticle&articleid=975
The Executive Director of the National Youth Council Alex Mseka has declared
that the war on HIV/Aids can only be won if the youth are sensitised on the
dangers of contracting HIV. Mseka made these remarks during the official
opening of the Gender and HIV/Aids awareness and capacity building workshop for
NGOs organised by Counseling of the Adolescent and Youth Organisation in
Mponela.

MOZAMBIQUE: CHOLERA DEATH TOLL STANDS AT 33
http://allafrica.com/stories/200302170572.html
Cholera has claimed 33 lives in Mozambique since the first case of the present
outbreak was diagnosed in the northern province of Niassa in September 2002,
reports Monday's issue of the Maputo daily "Noticias".

NIGERIA: AFRICAN MINISTERS AT WTO MUST SUPPORT PUBLIC HEALTH
African Trade Ministers participating in the on-going World Trade Organisation
(WTO) negotiations have a duty to denounce any agreement which could threaten
public health or undermine access to generic versions of essential drugs on the
continent. Making the call in a statement released to the press, the Treatment
Action Movement (TAM), a coalition of Nigerian civil society actors on access
to treatment and care, said the discussions at the WTO meeting hold great
significance for access to healthcare in many developing countries.
Further details: http://www.pambazuka.org/newsletter.php?id=13423

SOUTH AFRICA: MBEKI 'SILENT' ON AIDS IN ANNUAL STATE OF THE NATION ADDRESS
http://www.kaisernetwork.org/daily_reports/rep_index.cfm?DR_ID=16067
South African President Thabo Mbeki in his State of the Nation address to
Parliament last Friday "was silent on the key challenge of AIDS," Reuters
reports. Mbeki "shrugged off" renewed demands from hundreds of AIDS advocates
who marched on Parliament, calling for the government to reconsider its "go-
slow" approach to the epidemic.

SOUTH AFRICA: SLOW PROGRESSORS OFFER HOPE
http://www.health-e.org.za/view.php3?id=20030203
Government is under increasing pressure to provide anti-retroviral drugs to
people with HIV. In developed countries, the drugs have resulted in babies born
with HIV now reaching university. But what about South African children with
HIV?

SOUTH AFRICA: THOUSANDS DEMAND HIV TREATMENT
Thousands marched in Cape Town last Friday in a massive show of support for the
demand that the South African government sign and implement a national HIV
treatment programme. Estimates on the amount of marchers attending the march
organised by AIDS-lobby group the Treatment Action Campaign (TAC) and taking
place on the occasion of the opening of South Africa's Parliament for 2003
ranged from between 10 000 and 30 000. The material available through the link
below includes a report on the march, a letter from TAC activist Zackie Achmat
about the march, the memorandum presented to government and a memorandum to
President Bush and Members of US Congress dealing with the Doha agreement.
Further details: http://www.pambazuka.org/newsletter.php?id=13453
/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\
6.EDUCATION AND SOCIAL WELFARE

AFRICA/GLOBAL: KEY PAPERS ON YOUTH HEALTH
http://www.fhi.org/en/youth/youthnet/pubs/youthpubs.html
Youth Issues Papers are in-depth reviews of critical topics regarding youth
reproductive health and HIV/AIDS prevention. They include an analysis of the
issue, a literature review, case studies, lessons learned, and ideas about
criteria for best practices.

AFRICA: DIARRHOEA VACCINE ON FAST TRACK FOR POOR NATIONS
http://tinyurl.com/5yav
A new multi-million dollar project has been launched to speed up access in
developing countries to a vaccine against the world's leading cause of severe
diarrhoea among children. The goal of the three-year US$30 million venture is
to ensure that a vaccine against the rotavirus is made available to children in
developing countries at the same time as it is to those living in the developed
world, a move that, it is claimed, could save half a million lives a year.

EGYPT: MASS ARRESTS OF STREET CHILDREN
The Egyptian government conducts mass arrest campaigns of children
whose "crime" is that they are in need of protection, Human Rights Watch says
in a new report.
Children in police custody face beatings, sexual abuse and extortion by police
and adult criminal suspects, and police routinely deny them access to food,
bedding and medical care.
Further details: http://www.pambazuka.org/newsletter.php?id=13481

GABON: STREET CHILDREN BATTLE FOR SURVIVAL
http://www.mg.co.za/Content/l3.asp?a=37&o=16040
As night falls in Gabon's capital Libreville, 13-year-old Arthur Goma stakes
his patch for scraping out an existence in a country torn apart by devastating
wealth inequality. For the street children of Libreville, survival is a
nocturnal struggle of begging and gangland battles in a west African country
which was once considered as one of the richest in Africa.

IVORY COAST: DISPLACED CHILDREN GET AN OPPORTUNITY TO RETURN TO SCHOOL
http://www.irinnews.org/report.asp?ReportID=32371
UNICEF has donated school supplies and recreational equipment for 5,000 pupils
at the Ngokro School in Yamoussoukro. UNICEF plans to motivate the
international community and donors to get them to contribute to the education
sector and thus enable the children to enjoy one of their basic rights, the
right to schooling.

KENYA: MODEL SCHOOL IN NAIROBI SLUM
Kibera is famous, not as a centre of learning, but as one of Africa's largest
slums. The majority of Kibera dwellers have poor incomes and lack basic
amenities such as toilets and clean water. But all is not gloom in the
sprawling slum. A school in Kibera was last week hailed as a shining example of
how children from poor communities can successfully access free primary school
education.
Further details: http://www.pambazuka.org/newsletter.php?id=13411

NIGERIA: EDUCATION PERFORMANCE WORST IN WEST AFRICA
http://allafrica.com/stories/200302170207.html
The poor state of Nigeria's educational sector has resulted in a frightening
decay which has put the performance of the country's candidates in public
examinations behind that of their counterparts in war ravaged countries in West
Africa. This is revealed in a quarterly review of the sector by Shelter Rights
Initiative.

SOUTH AFRICA: WHAT ABOUT THE YOUTH IN SOUTH AFRICA?
http://www.africapulse.org/index.php?action=viewarticle&articleid=966
This is a call for the South African government to start taking the issues of
youth unemployment seriously. Its about time the National Youth Service is
implemented. This issue has been discussed for more than eight years since the
Government of National Unity took over. Since then, more 40% of the youth from
age 15-35 years have remained economically inactive, unemployed, and living
under extreme condition of poverty.

UGANDA: CALL FOR FREE SECONDARY EDUCATION FOR NORTH KIDS
http://allafrica.com/stories/200302180157.html
The Reform Agenda has called for immediate free secondary education for
children from war-ravaged areas because their parents are unable to raise
school fees. "Their parents are in the internally displaced people's camps,
unable to cultivate crops or do anything to earn a livelihood to pay fees,"
Reform Agenda deputy secretary Louis Otika said.

UGANDA: MASS TEACHER TRANSFER
http://allafrica.com/stories/200302170130.html
Over 2,000 teachers are due to be been transferred in a massive shake-up of
staff in secondary schools nationwide.
Some 400 teachers have already received transfer letters.
/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\
7.WOMEN AND GENDER

AFRICA/GLOBAL: THE ROLE OF WOMEN IN CONFLICT AND POST CONFLICT SITUATIONS
http://www.un-instraw.org/en/news2.phtml?id=493
This Occasional Paper published by the Conflict Research Unit of the
Clingendael Institute in the Netherlands identifies seven different roles and
positions of women in armed conflict. The institutional analysis analyzes how
16 international organisations address these roles and positions of women in
armed conflict in their mandates, policies, structures, instruments and
activities and budgets. It outlines specific policy options per organisation
for strenghening the position of women in armed conflict and conflict-related
interventions.

AFRICA: GENDER AND HIV/AIDS DOSSIER
http://www.eldis.org/gender/dossiers
Eldis, a gateway to information on development issues, has produced a dossier
on Gender and HIV/AIDS that provides narrative and up-to-date resources to
guide the user through the key issues and debates on this theme. The web
resource is regularly updated with new debates, case studies and research
papers. Contributions from researchers and practitioners are welcomed.

AFRICA: HIV INFECTIONS HIGH IN WOMEN
http://allafrica.com/stories/200302170474.html
Of the 40 million people worldwide who are living with HIV or have AIDS,
approximately 50% of those infected are women. The percentage is higher in
Africa with 58% of the total number of people that are HIV positive being women
and a large number of women in Sub-Saharan Africa continue to contract the
virus because of factors that they are unable to control.

AFRICA: REPRODUCTIVE CHOICE AND WOMEN LIVING WITH HIV/AIDS
http://www.africapulse.org/index.php?action=viewarticle&articleid=958
One area in which stigma and discrimination affect women living with HIV/Aids
is reproductive health. This report summarises available information concerning
barriers and discrimination that women living with HIV/Aids face in exercising
their full sexual and reproductive rights concerning pregnancy.

AFRICA: WAR HITS HOME ON WOMEN AND CHILDREN
http://www.unicef.org/graca/women.htm
Women and girls in particular experience conflict and displacement in different
ways from men because of the gender division of roles and responsibilities.
Increasingly, says this UN report, modern warfare is wreaking havoc on the
lives of women and girls, and on the health and educational services that are
key to family and community survival and development.

ETHIOPIA: WORKSHOP TO PROMOTE GIRLS' EDUCATION
http://allafrica.com/stories/200302180576.html
The Ministry of Education (MOE) and UNICEF began a workshop this week to
develop innovative strategies and an action plan to promote girls' education in
five regions that have wide gender gaps and low girls' school enrolment rates.

GHANA: NEW OPPORTUNITIES FOR WOMEN?
http://www.id21.org/society/s6aea1g1.html
As gender issues and land rights assume greater importance, how are Ghanaian
women seeking to redefine the terms on which they gain access to and control of
land? How are women farmers being affected by growing land scarcity? Is enough
being done to enable poor women farmers to gain improved access to extension
services and productive assets?

KENYA: CONCERNS FOR A CRITICAL LOOK AT ABORTION POLICIES
http://allafrica.com/stories/200302170962.html
As abortion-related mortality continues to rise, attitudes and lack of
supportive policies on reproductive health are conspiring to send more young
women of reproductive age to the graveyard. There is apparent need to increase
the awareness on risks of unsafe abortions, but for those who abort, the
intervention would be to improve post-abortion care, argues this commentary.

SOUTH AFRICA: FOCUS ON THE "BURDEN" OF MANHOOD
http://allafrica.com/stories/200302190962.html
It is hard to be a boy in South Africa these days. A recent survey of 30
schools in KwaZulu-Natal (KZN) province found that, across all races, male
students and teachers experience uncertainty about their role and status and a
sense of displacement due to the loss of their privileged space in society. The
study examined how masculinity is constructed and maintained in schools to
better understand how deeply-held notions of masculinity lead to high-risk
behaviour for HIV infection among men and women.
/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\
8.REFUGEES AND FORCED MIGRATION

AFRICA: JANUARY 2003 ISSUE OF FORCED MIGRATION REVIEW
http://www.fmreview.org/FMRpdfs/FMR16/fmr16full.pdf
Issue 16 of Forced Migration Review for January 2003, published by the Refugee
Studies Centre in association with the Norwegian Refugee Council/Global IDP
Project, is now available online. Entitled African Displacement: Roots,
Resources and Resolution, titles of articles include 'Camps and freedoms: long-
term refugee situations in Africa', 'Western Sahara and Palestine: shared
refugee experiences' and 'IDP protection in Angola: has momentum been lost?'

AFRICA: REFUGEES ON 'BRINK OF HUNGER' AS FUNDING STALLS, UN WARNS
The United Nations has warned that the fate of more than 1.2 million refugees
in Africa was uncertain due to a lack of funding which has forced the UN's lead
food programme to curtail much-needed food aid. The warning issued jointly by
the World Food Programme (WFP) and the UN High Commissioner for Refugees
(UNHCR) comes amid growing concerns that a potential conflict in Iraq may
distract the attention of donor nations from the pressing needs of millions of
refugees on the African continent.
Further details: http://www.pambazuka.org/newsletter.php?id=13345

BOTSWANA: WORLD BANK FINDS DIAMOND PROJECT ON GANA AND GWI LAND
Kalahari Diamonds Limited, formed at the initiative of, and partly owned by,
BHP Billiton, has secured US$2 million funding from the International Finance
Corporation (IFC) to explore for diamonds in the Central Kalahari Game Reserve
(CKGR), Botswana. The IFC, part of the World Bank, approved the project on
Thursday. This is according to a press release from Survival International, a
worldwide organisation supporting tribal peoples. The CKGR is the ancestral
land of the Gana and Gwi 'Bushmen' and Bakgalagadi. After a 15-year campaign of
persecution, the last Bushmen were evicted from their homes in February 2002.
Further details: http://www.pambazuka.org/newsletter.php?id=13386

BURUNDI-DRC: UNHCR MOVES REFUGEES TO SAFETY
http://www.irinnews.org/report.asp?ReportID=32299
Concerned for their security, the office of the UN High Commissioner for
Refugees (UNHCR) on Wednesday moved 406 Congolese refugees in Burundi farther
away from the border with the "volatile" Democratic Republic of the Congo
(DRC). It reported on Thursday that the refugees had left Rugombo, a refugee
reception centre located three kilometres from the border, for Cishemeye I
transit centre.

BURUNDI/DRC/TANZANIA: EC GIVES 24 MILLION FOR BURUNDIAN AND CONGOLESE REFUGEES
http://www.irinnews.org/report.asp?ReportID=32301
Tanzania is scheduled to receive 24 million (US $26 million) from the EC this
year to help meet the humanitarian needs of Burundian and Congolese refugees in
the country, according to the EC Humanitarian Aid Office (ECHO).

GHANA: "REVERSE DISPARITY IN TREATMENT OF AFRICAN REFUGEES"
http://allafrica.com/stories/200302170950.html
Participants at a workshop on the "Rights of Refugees and Internally Displaced
Persons to Information and Communication" held at Abokobi, have endorsed the
nomination of Nii Laryea Sowah, Editor of the "Spark" and Executive Secretary
of the Private Newspaper Publishers Association of Ghana as West-Africa
Coordinator of the newly created West Africa Media Network For Refugees.

IVORY COAST: MORE DISPLACEMENT PREDICTED
http://www.irinnews.org/report.asp?ReportID=32318
If the current situation in Cote d'Ivoire prevails, half a million more people
could be displaced over the next two months, the UN Office for the Coordination
of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) reported on Wednesday.

LIBERIA: REFUGEES FACE HUNGER
http://allafrica.com/stories/200302190707.html
About 34,000 Liberian returnees and refugees fleeing fighting in neighboring
Ivory Coast are said to be facing severe hunger in Maryland County.

NIGERIA: UNREST DISPLACED 750,000 IN TWO YEARS, SAYS VP
http://www.irinnews.org/report.asp?ReportID=32368
Communal disturbances in Nigeria displaced 750,000 people in the last two
years, Vice President Atiku Abubakar said on Monday. Atiku revealed these
figures while declaring open a workshop on the "United Nations Guiding
Principles on Internal Displacement" in the central city of Jos, organised by
the National Commission for Refugees. He said Nigeria has had its
own "unenviable share" of displaced people in recent years.

SUDAN: SUDANESE DISPLACED 'DELIBERATELY'
http://www.idpproject.org/weekly_news/weekly_news.htm#1
Southern Sudanese civilians have been displaced by recent fighting between
warring sides in Sudan, said a US civil protection monitoring team, reports AP.
In areas in Western Upper Nile, the team said many thousands of civilians were
forcibly displaced by direct military attack despite a cease-fire, adding that
the government bore most of the responsibility.

ZIMBABWE: COUNTRY HIT BY INFLUX OF REFUGEES
http://allafrica.com/stories/200302170294.html
There is an unprecedented influx into Zimbabwe of asylum seekers from the Great
Lakes region, a United Nations official has said. Tapiwa Huye, the assistant
programme officer at the UN High Commission for Refugees (UNHCR) office,
said: "The influx is unusual. The Transit Centre is full and we are looking for
tents to accommodate the asylum seekers."

ZIMBABWE: DISPLACED FARM WORKERS URGENTLY NEED AID
http://www.irinnews.org/report.asp?ReportID=32275
The plight of farm workers affected by Zimbabwe's fast-track land reform
programme amid a serious food security crisis is being largely ignored, NGOs
warn.
/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\
9.RACISM AND XENOPHOBIA

AFRICA: TUTU INSPIRES STUDENTS
http://www.thestate.com/mld/thestate/news/nation/5215249.htm
Archbishop Desmond Tutu delivered inspirational messages about overcoming
racism in South Africa and America to two very different audiences during
recent speaking engagements. He reminded students that racism not only fueled
apartheid - the legal discrimination against nonwhites in South Africa - but
also fueled slavery and lynchings in America and the Holocaust in Germany. He
told students that skin color doesn't say anything about a person's
intelligence, compassion or ability to have fun.

SOUTH AFRICA: MAN HELD FOR RACIST ATTACK
http://www.news24.com/News24/South_Africa/News/0,6119,2-7-1442_1321540,00.html
A 20-year-old man was arrested in Pretoria on Monday in connection with an
alleged racially-motivated attack on a group of black children. A group of
seven black boys between the ages of 14 and 16 were allegedly assaulted by a
group of whites, police reported.
/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\
10.ENVIRONMENT

AFRICA/GLOBAL: SCIENTISTS CHALLENGE DEFORESTATION STUDY
http://www.scidev.net/frame3.asp?id=1402200315192123&authors=Nicky%
20Lewis&posted=14%20Feb%202003&c=1&r=1&t=NB
Scientists have criticised a study published last year which suggested that
earlier estimates of worldwide tropical deforestation and atmospheric carbon
emissions were too high. The original study calculated that deforestation rates
were 23 per cent lower than current UN Food and Agriculture Organisation
estimates.

AFRICA: HUNGER FOR PROFIT: THE GENETIC MODIFICATION OF DEVELOPING COUNTRY
AGRICULTURE
http://www.id21.org/society/s2bas1g1.html
Genetically modified food crops have been held up as a solution to hunger in
the developing world. Are the claims of the seed companies a practical reality?
Is this 'second green revolution' taking place in the interest of farmers or
the multinational corporations that produce and sell seeds, pesticides and
herbicides around the world?

EAST AFRICA: COMMUNITY-BASED WILDLIFE CONSERVATION IN EAST AFRICA
http://www.id21.org/society/s2ceb1g1.html
Large-scale protectionist programmes have increasingly been abandoned in favour
of community-based wildlife conservation. But the huge range of initiatives
makes it difficult to assess the value and impact of these. A new review of
community conservation efforts in East Africa finds that much remains to be
done, particularly at policy, legal and institutional levels.

KENYA: PRODUCE COPIES OF ENVIRONMENT REPORT, NGO TELLS GOVT
http://allafrica.com/stories/200302190808.html
A non-governmental organisation has sued the Kenya government to compel it to
make public the report of the Environmental Management Plan (EMP) for a
titanium mining project in Kwale District of Coast Province. The case against
the National Environmental Management Authority (Nema) was filed in the High
Court by George Mulama Wamukoya on behalf of the Centre for Environmental Legal
Research and Education (CELRE) on February 6.

KENYA: WILD SUNFLOWERS ENRICH FERTILITY OF AFRICAN FARMS
http://ens-news.com/ens/feb2003/2003-02-18-01.asp
As African countries grapple with dwindling crop yields and famine, some
farmers in east Africa have discovered a new way to replenish soil fertility
and increase farm yields. Eunice Gichiku Kinyua, a 40 year old Kenya farmer, is
among hundreds of farmers in rural Kenya who have discovered that the wild
sunflower (Tithonia diversifolia) replenishes soil fertility and helps increase
crop yields.

MOZAMBIQUE: CONSERVATIONISTS RAISE RED WARNING FLAGS
http://www.ipsnews.net/interna.asp?idnews=16009
How far will Mozambique go with its promising economic recovery if the price is
a damaged environment, nature conservationists are asking? ''From a proposed
new highway that will devastate the rainforest in the Inhambane province, to
the potential destruction of coral reefs in the Indian Ocean, sacrificed to
shipping, mining and tourism, red warning flags are being raised all over this
beautiful country,'' conservationist Manuel Chissano told IPS.

NIGER: MODERN LAW AND TRADITIONAL LANDHOLDING PRINCIPLES IN NIGER
http://www.id21.org/society/s1abg1g1.html
As populations rise in the Sahel and arable land degrades, is conflict
inevitable? Why are reforms of tenure law, decentralisation and the creation of
new land institutions failing to reduce disputes over access to and ownership
of land? Could innovative forms of arbitration bring together stakeholders to
settle lasting disputes and develop sustainable forms of natural resource
management?

NIGER: PROTECTING FORESTS IN A COUNTRY FUELLED BY WOOD
http://www.irinnews.org/report.asp?ReportID=32377
With 95 percent of Niger's 10 million people depending on firewood as their
main source of household fuel, there has been growing pressure on the remaining
forests in the semi-arid nation.

TANZANIA: MAASAI PREDICAMENT UNDER THE RULE OF WILDLIFE PRESERVATION
Locals get almost nothing out of conservation accrued benefits. There is much
talk on the need for wildlife neighbouring communities to share the benefits of
wildlife conservation. This loud cry is neither supported by enforceable
legislation nor by clearly spelt out Government policies. To Government
functionaries, it is enough to proudly talk of the earnings from wildlife and
highlight it as a percentage of the national income. But if the successes of
conservation in terms of the welfare of rural people in and/or adjacent to
wildlife-protected areas are gauged, obviously they are failure. Yet the
villages in and around protected areas have little or almost no Government-
supported infrastructures, argues this commentary.
Further details: http://www.pambazuka.org/newsletter.php?id=13400
/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\
11.MEDIA

AFRICA: ARTICLE 19 - THE DRAFT DECLARATION ON THE RIGHT TO COMMUNICATE
http://www.africapulse.org/index.php?action=viewarticle&articleid=962
A draft Declaration on the Right to Communicate has been prepared by C.
Hamelink (Hamelink Declaration) and endorsements of this Declaration are being
sought. This note by ARTICLE 19 assesses the Hamelink Declaration both for
compliance with international human rights standards, in particular relating to
freedom of expression, and for the contribution it makes to further developing
the right to communicate. ARTICLE 19 endorses, in principle, the idea of an
authoritative elaboration of a right to communicate.

ANGOLA: ATTACK ON RADIO STATION A 'SETBACK'
http://allafrica.com/stories/200302180458.html
Human rights activists on Monday said the government's recent attack on
Angola's private Radio Ecclesia, accusing it of practising "radio terrorism",
was a setback for the fostering of democracy in the country.

CHAD: NEWSPAPER CHIEFS FINED AND JAILED
http://www.indexonline.org/indexindex/20030212_chad.shtml
Nadjikimo Bnoudjita, publisher of the weekly Notre Temps, and Mbainaye
Btoubam, the paper's deputy editor-in-chief, were sentenced to six months'
imprisonment and fined two million CFA francs ($3,300) in damages and interest
on 6 February 2003.

DRC: JOURNALIST AND HIS SPOUSE ARRESTED IN KINSHASA
http://www.ifex.org/alerts/view.html?id=11961
A journalist from La Tempte des Tropiques newspaper and his wife have been
arrested in Kinshasa. National Intelligence Agency (Agence nationale des
renseignements) agents arrested Bamporiki Chamira, a journalist with a Kinshasa-
based daily newspaper, and his wife at their Kinshasa home. They are being held
at the Agence nationale des renseignements prison on Avenue ex-3Z in Kinshasa
or Gombe.

ETHIOPIA: ARTICLE 19 RELEASES REPORT ON LEGAL FRAMEWORK FOR FREEDOM OF
EXPRESSION
ARTICLE 19 has released a report on the current legal framework for freedom of
expression in Ethiopia. ARTICLE 19 believes that the report will inform the
ongoing dialogue in Ethiopia on the new draft press law. The Report presents an
independent assessment of the current legal framework for freedom of expression
in Ethiopia and identifies the key areas of concern in relation to freedom of
expression.
Further details: http://www.pambazuka.org/newsletter.php?id=13356

ETHIOPIA: NEWSPAPER VENDORS DETAINED, HARASSED
Vendors of Ethiopian free press publications are being hunted down and
detained, and their newspapers are being snatched from them by police, says the
Ethiopian Free Press Journalists' Association (EFJA). This comes at a time when
local and foreign journalists, publishers and media professionals have strongly
protested against the new draft press law that have been made public by the
Ministry of Information.
Further details: http://www.pambazuka.org/newsletter.php?id=13383

SOUTHERN AFRICA: NEGATIVE MOVEMENT ON PRESS FREEDOM
The Regional Governing Council of the Media Institute of Southern Africa
(MISA), at its meeting held in Johannesburg on February 11 and 12, 2003, noted
with concern the fluctuating state of media freedom in southern Africa. In a
statement, MISA recognised and celebrated the unique and positive developments
recorded over the last eighteen months that have upheld media freedoms and
freedom of expression in the region. "Unfortunately numerous negative incidents
recorded in the same period grossly outnumber the positive developments," said
MISA.
Further details: http://www.pambazuka.org/newsletter.php?id=13424

ZAMBIA: JOURNALIST RELEASED ON BAIL
Chali Nondo, a journalist from "The Monitor" newspaper, was released on police
bond on 10 February 2003, (local time), after spending about three hours in
police custody. On 5 February, Nondo was detained on a charge of "publishing
false news with intent to cause fear and alarm to the public".
Further details: http://www.pambazuka.org/newsletter.php?id=13380

ZIMBABWE LOOKING AT THE MEDIA LAW
http://www.africapulse.org/index.php?action=viewarticle&articleid=974
President Thabo Mbeki said that Zimbabwe had agreed that changes were needed in
its media laws, which critics say are aimed at muzzling the press. South Africa
has been criticised for taking a soft approach with the government of President
Robert Mugabe, which has been slammed by the West on human rights issues
against the backdrop of a collapsing economy and chronic food shortages.

ZIMBABWE: FLOWER AND OLONGO DISCIPLINED
The Freedom of Expression Institute (FXI) has issued a statement condemning the
action taken by the Zimbabwe Cricket Union (ZCU) to discipline two of their
players who protested against the ongoing human rights violations in the
country. According to media reports, the ZCU suspended Henry Olonga and
referred Andy Flower to the disciplinary committee for wearing black armbands
during a world cup cricket match between Zimbabwe and Namibia in Harare on
Monday February 10 2002. The black armbands were a sign of protest against
the 'death of democracy' in Zimbabwe.
Further details: http://www.pambazuka.org/newsletter.php?id=13361

ZIMBABWE: MEDIA WORKERS AND PROTESTORS ARRESTED
Three media workers were arrested on 14 February at the United Nations Offices
in Harare. The three are Lloyd Mudiwa, a reporter with The Daily News, Aaron
Ufumeli, a photographer with the same paper, and Tsvangirai Mukwazhi, a
photographer for Associated Press. The police confiscated Ufumeli's camera and
those of several other freelance journalists.
Further details: http://www.pambazuka.org/newsletter.php?id=13360

ZIMBABWE: MOYO SILENT ON MEDIA LAWS
http://www.africapulse.org/index.php?action=viewarticle&articleid=979
Jonathan Moyo refused to comment on weekend reports that President Thabo Mbeki
had said Zimbabwe would change its tough media laws, following talks with South
Africa and Nigeria. But his boss in the ruling Zanu PF politburo, Nathan
Shamuyarira, was surprised at Moyos refusal to comment. The Zanu PF secretary
for information and publicity said Moyo should comment "since he is the one who
piloted the media law".
/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\
12.DEVELOPMENT

AFRICA/GLOBAL: WINDOW OF OPPORTUNITY ON IFI GOVERNANCE
The World Bank and IMF have been condemned by civil society groups for many
years for their inequitable governance arrangements. Recently officials have
also complained, and the Monterrey Financing for Development conference last
year came up with language urging the Bank and Fund to reform in this area.
Visit http://www.brettonwoodsproject.org/topic/reform/r3201ifigov.html for more
information and read a Draft Civil Society Statement on the issue at the link
below.
Further details: http://www.pambazuka.org/newsletter.php?id=13365

AFRICA: CIVICUS CHALLENGES WORLD BANK TO ENGAGE WITH CIVIL SOCIETY
http://www.africapulse.org/index.php?action=viewarticle&articleid=954
The World Alliance for Citizen Participation has taken its message of support
for broader civic participation and engagement in global policy-making and
governance to the World Bank. CIVICUS Secretary General and CEO Kumi Naidoo,
delivered an address on Civil Society, Governance, and Globalisation as part
of the Banks Presidential Fellows Lecture Series.

AFRICA: CONTINENT FIRST BENEFICIARY OF PILOT PROJECTS FOR REDUCING POVERTY BY
HALF BY 2015
http://www.africapulse.org/index.php?action=viewarticle&articleid=968
The governing council of the United Nations Environmental Programme, which met
in Nairobi last week, resolved that the continent be the core centre in
implementing resolutions passed at the World Summit on Sustainable Development.

AFRICA: NATIONS STILL FAR APART ON FARM SUBSIDIES, CHEAP DRUGS
http://www.oneworld.net/ips4/2003/02/17-2.shtml
Twenty-two countries that ended a mini-summit Sunday on trade liberalisation,
including the touchy issues of agricultural subsidies and access to cheaper
drugs, reached no breakthrough - and managed only an agreement to discuss the
matter further.

AFRICA: PARIS SUMMIT TO FOCUS ON NEPAD
http://allafrica.com/stories/200302140414.html
With less than a week to go before the controversial France/Africa Summit, the
French government has revealed that the New Economic Partnership for Africa's
Development (Nepad) will be the main focus. The summit will tackle issues such
as the prevention and settlement of conflicts, development of natural
resources, health, education and the improvement of agriculture with a view to
poverty reduction.

AFRICA: WHAT NEXT AFTER PORTO ALEGRE?
There is need for an alternative development paradigm to counter capital led
globalisation, argues an article in the latest edition of the Seatini Bulletin
that reflects on the recent World Social Forum. This essentially means that non-
governmental organisations, civil society, individuals and governments have to
evaluate their engagement with the social and economic challenges that confront
the peoples of the world. Governments particularly need to link themselves more
with social movements and peoples aspirations than with big businesses and
profit.
Further details: http://www.pambazuka.org/newsletter.php?id=13503

ANGOLA: PUSHED ASIDE BY GLOBALISATION: WHAT HOPE FOR WAR-TRAUMATISED LUANDA?
http://www.id21.org/society/s7bpj1g1.html
How is globalisation affecting the lives of the 3.4 million inhabitants of the
Angolan capital, Luanda? Can the state use wealth from oil and diamonds to lift
the city's poor out of poverty? Can civil society release the potential of the
poor to become development actors?
/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\
13.INTERNET AND TECHNOLOGY

ANSWERING QUESTIONS ABOUT TELECENTRES
http://www.developmentgateway.org/ict/telecenters
Individual telecenters have been shown to foster profound developmental
outcomes within the communities they serve. Yet the role of telecenters in
rural development and in the development of marginal urban areas is not clear.
Moreover, there are many kinds of telecenters. Which telecenters are most
successful in providing access to the poor and reducing rural poverty? Which
business models work best? Do different countries and different kinds of
communities require different types of telecenters and/or different business
models? Why do so many Telecenters fail?

ELECTRONIC GOVERNANCE PROJECT UNDERWAY IN ANGOLA
http://allafrica.com/stories/200302130024.html
A project for the launch of Electronic Governance (E-Gov) in Angola is being
prepared at the National Commission for Information Technologies. E-Gov will
involve a generalised use of information technologies by the public
administration in relations between the government and citizens as well as
between government and enterprises.

SOUTH AFRICA CONSIDERS OPEN SOURCE
http://news.com.com/2100-1001-983315.html?part=dtx&tag=ntop
Joining a growing trend, a South African government council recommended an
official policy that promotes the use of open-source software - but stops short
of jettisoning proprietary applications. The recommended policy for Africa's
wealthiest nation expresses a preference for open-source applications when
proprietary alternatives don't offer a compelling advantage. Other nations have
taken more extreme positions, mandating the use of open-source software unless
no other practical alternatives exist.

SUMMIT PREP MEET CAUGHT BETWEEN TWO VISIONS
http://www.apc.org/english/news/index.shtml?x=9893
In the preparatory discussions for the World Summit on the Information Society
(WSIS), to take place in December, a rift has emerged between the visions
aiming to put new technology at the service of business, or of citizens. The
differences were evident from the beginning, in Monday's sessions of Prepcom-2
in Geneva, convened by the United Nations to discuss how to achieve greater
equality in access to information and communications technology.
/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\
14.eNEWSLETTERS AND MAILING LISTS

DISCUSSION ON AFRICAN UNIVERSITIES AND HIV/AIDS
The Africa America Institute in partnership with the Association of African
Universities would like to invite you to participate in an online discussion
forum from 10 February - 9 March
2003. We will be exploring the theme: "How are African Universities responding
to the HIV/AIDS Pandemic?"
Further details: http://www.pambazuka.org/newsletter.php?id=13405

ONLINE DISCUSSION - RURAL WOMEN AND ACCESS TO LAND
The Rural Women's Network of Senegal and ENDA-PRONAT are organizing a
conference on "Rural Women's Access to land" - from 25-27 February 2003 in
This, Senegal. An online discussion is now open on the new Dimitra website
http://www.fao.org/dimitra/ in preparation for this event.
Further details: http://www.pambazuka.org/newsletter.php?id=13404

WSIS ON-LINE DISCUSSION
http://www.scidev.net/notices/detail.asp?t=S&id=170220031204416
In order to consult its members and associated bodies/organisations, as well as
the wider international scientific and technological community, ICSU is hosting
an on-line forum to develop its main input to the World Summit on the
Information Society process from 10 to 28 February 2003.
/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\
15.FUNDRAISING

ANGOLA: ECHO AID TO BOOST HUMANITARIAN OPERATIONS
http://www.africapulse.org/index.php?
action=viewarticle&articleid=986&PHPSESSID=2f2dc202c3b62614d28262cf7b2966fd
Humanitarian operations in Angola are to receive a Euro 8 million (about US 8.5
million dollars) boost from the European Commission. The EC Humanitarian Aid
Office (ECHO) would channel the aid package though partner organisations and
international agencies operating in the country, the EC said in a statement.

GHANA: 155 STUDENTS BENEFIT FROM SIKKENS EDUCATION FUND
http://allafrica.com/stories/200302190939.html
One hundred and fifteen students of Junior and Senior Secondary Schools in the
Kwahu-South District in the Eastern Region have benefited from the Sikkens
Education Trust Fund.

OSISA EDUCATION PROGRAMME
http://www.osiafrica.org/index.php
The overall goal of OSISAs education programme is to empower civil society to
advocate for and participate in providing better access and quality of
education with special emphasis on education programmes for the disadvantaged
including orphans, disabled children, street children, abandoned and abused
children, children living in conflict areas, and illiterate adults. Guiding
Principles OSISAs education programme will support interventions based on
purpose and quality of education; inclusion and starting early.

SOUTH AFRICA: A ROSE AT ANY PRICE
http://www.dispatch.co.za/2003/02/15/easterncape/AHUDSON.HTM
Valentine's Day fever hit Hudson Park High School when grade nine "cupids"
delivered hearts and roses to classes throughout the school - raising more than
R4000 for charity.

SOUTH AFRICA: BANK DONATES MOBILE LIBRARY
http://www.iol.co.za/index.php?
click_id=105&art_id=ct20030214200029557P350564&set_id=1
Soweto pupils were further empowered on Saturday when a leading bank donated 52
mobile libraries to 26 schools in the area. The libraries, complete with the
first 100 books selected in conjunction with the Gauteng Department of
Education, came at a cost of R466 000 and were donated by Standard Bank.
/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\
16.COURSES, SEMINARS, AND WORKSHOPS

6TH INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON HOME AND COMMUNITY BASED CARE FOR PEOPLE LIVING
WITH HIV/AIDS
8 -11 December, 2003, Dakar/Senegal
This conference, initiated by PWAs, is convened every other year since 1993, in
different countries, with different themes depending on PWA priority concerns.
The theme of the Dakar 2003 Conference "More Care for Better Living" aims to
highlight the priority needs of PLWAs in a situation where antiretrovirals
become increasingly available in developing countries, too.
Further details: http://www.pambazuka.org/newsletter.php?id=13459

ENHANCING THE QUALITY AND USE OF HEALTH INFORMATION AT THE DISTRICT LEVEL
1  4 April 2003, Eastern Cape, South Africa
http://www.cpc.unc.edu/projects/measure/rhino/safrica.html
Without reliable, relevant health information, health care managers and
providers cannot make informed decisions to allocate resources effectively,
improve the quality of health services, or address epidemics such as HIV/AIDS.
As health systems around the world decentralize, the demand for sound
information and the skills to use information effectively is increasing
dramatically. In response, the Routine Health Information Network (RHINO)
announces a technical workshop on Enhancing the Quality and Use of Health
Information at the District Level.

THE STATE WE ARE IN SEMINAR SERIES
Programme For First Quarter 2003
Announcing a seminar series hosted jointly by the Wits Institute for Social and
Economic Research (WISER) and the Graduate School of Public and Development
Management (P&DM).
Further details: http://www.pambazuka.org/newsletter.php?id=13422
/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\
17.ADVOCACY RESOURCES

AMNESTY WORLDWIDE APPEAL: PROTEST LIFE IMPRISONMENT FOR INTERNET ACTIVISTS
http://www.web.amnesty.org/web/wwa.nsf/70475c6a6bece6f980256773004abe57/a0e5a716
98072e0780256c8b004dc49d!OpenDocument
Businessmen Mohamed Zaki, Ibrahim Moosa Luthfee, Ahmed Ibrahim Didi and a young
woman who worked as a personal secretary to Ibrahim Luthfee, Fathimath Nisreen,
were arrested in January and February 2002, because of their alleged
involvement with an Internet publication called Sandhaanu. While Sandhaanu
publishes articles which are severely critical of the government, it does not
advocate violent political opposition. In July Mohamed Zaki, Ibrahim Moosa
Luthfee and Ahmed Ibrahim Didi were sentenced to life imprisonment. Fathimath
Nisreen was sentenced to 10 years in prison. Please write, calling for the
immediate and unconditional release of prisoners of conscience Mohamed Zaki,
Ibrahim Moosa Luthfee, Ahmed Ibrahim Didi and Fathimath Nisreen. Raise concerns
that their trial was not fair and that they were denied legal representation
throughout.

SPOTLIGHT CAST ON CONFLICT DIAMONDS
http://news.yahoo.com/news?
tmpl=story2&cid=655&ncid=655&e=1&u=/oneworld/20030214/wl_oneworld/1032_104523445
0
A new campaign was launched on Valentine's Day aiming to persuade consumers in
the United States not to buy diamonds mined in African war zones and to urge
U.S. lawmakers to quickly pass legislation barring the import of "conflict
diamonds."

SUPPORT ARRESTED EGYPTIAN ANTI-WAR PROTESTORS
Egyptian authorities have arrested 15 persons over demonstrations against the
war in Iraq. Many of them remain in pre-trial detention with some of them
having reportedly been kept in incommunicado detention during this time, says
the World Organisation Against Torture (OMCT). The OMCT requests those
concerned by this situation to write to the Egyptian authorities requesting
that they be released and their safety guaranteed.
Further details: http://www.pambazuka.org/newsletter.php?id=13407

USING THE INTERNET TO GET YOUR POINT ACROSS
http://www.internetrights.org.uk/index.shtml?
AA_SL_Session=67bac1830a69c2cec561a3c76caaaedf&x=603
The Internet has certain advantages over other kinds of campaign medium. It
enables you to make information available to people for them to use in a number
of ways; they might pass on to others online, personalise it, and then perhaps
produce copies they distribute in their own area. Because of this potential for
interaction and modification of information, people can participate at a
variety of levels and in a range of ways with which they feel comfortable. Find
out more at the web site of Internet Rights UK.
/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\
18.JOBS

BURUNDI: SENIOR FIELD OFFICER
Christian Aid
We're looking for an experienced and motivated individual to represent
Christian Aid in Burundi. With responsibility for Christian Aid's Burundi
programme, you will manage the staff and field office, develop Christian Aid's
policy and programme, and contribute to the strategic planning of the wider
team.
Further details: http://www.pambazuka.org/newsletter.php?id=13388

CONGO: COUNTRY DIRECTOR
International Rescue Committee
http://www.reliefweb.int/w/res.nsf/wDocs/3F1963D13B2B3CBDC1256CC6005D4D4C
The responsibilities for the Country Director include: Strategic planning,
program implementation and evaluation; fund raising and grant management; the
even and consistent implementation of IRC policies and procedures as described
in the IRC Field Operations Manual; develop recommendations for policy
revisions as necessitated by field conditions, and Human Resource management.

IVORY COAST: CHILD EDUCATION/PROTECTION PROGRAM COORDINATOR
International Rescue Committee
http://www.reliefweb.int/w/res.nsf/wDocs/46C0F5CBC5A5FEA5C1256CC5006B17FD
In the past few months Cote d'Ivoire (CI) has undergone massive unrest starting
with a failed Coup in September and subsequent attacks resulting in rebel
control over several important cities in the north and central areas of the
country. In response to this ongoing crisis IRC will send an Education/Child
Protection (E/CP) Coordinator to the region to carry out an emergency
assessment.

NIGERIA: DIRECTOR
African Sexuality Resource Centre
The purpose of this position is to provide strategic leadership, overall vision
and good management in order to fulfil the goal of the Resource Centre. Duties
will include leading the review and analysis of sexuality and sexual and
reproductive health (SRH)/rights trends and developments in the region and
directing and overseeing data gathering activities and analysis to identify and
glean experience, lessons learned, and best practice related to human sexuality
and sexual and reproductive health programs for dissemination and exchange.
Further details: http://www.pambazuka.org/newsletter.php?id=13389

NIGERIA: PROGRAMME ADMINISTRATOR
Centre For Special Studies
The position provides an outstanding opportunity for the right individual to
participate in the growth of a dynamic programme, and to work with a variety of
medical, public health, policy, and community development professionals.
Further details: http://www.pambazuka.org/newsletter.php?id=13390

SENEGAL: PROJECT MANAGER
The African Women's Media Center (AWMC)
http://www.comminit.com/vacancy1209.html
The candidate will develop & manage a 3-year multi level campaign to enhance
the quality and quantity of coverage of health issues in the African media with
a focus on HIV/AIDS, TB and malaria. Fluent written and spoken English and
French are essential. This position requires an experienced journalist with
knowledge of public health issues in Africa and a proven track record of
coordination and management of media projects in Africa.

SIERRA LEONE: COUNTRY PROGRAMME MANAGER
Oxfam GB
http://www.reliefweb.int/w/res.nsf/wDocs/DC34E134921913A3C1256CC600621EE2
The purpose is to lead Oxfam GB's work in Sierra Leone by working with the
Regional Management Centre and other organisations to bring about change
through Oxfam's programme and influence.

SOUTH AFRICA: JOB OPENINGS
Bridges.org
Bridges.org, the international NGO that helps people in developing countries to
use ICT to help themselves, is expanding its offices in Cape Town. To this end,
we are currently inviting applications for the positions of business manager,
technology associate and webmaster.
Further details: http://www.pambazuka.org/newsletter.php?id=13391

ZIMBABWE: REGIONAL TECHNICAL ADVISOR FOR HIV/AIDS
Catholic Relief Services
http://www.comminit.com/vacancy1194.html
The primary responsibility of this position is to provide technical assistance
to the region and to country programmes to expand CRS' outreach in response to
the HIV/AIDS pandemic while ensuring that the CRS HIV/AIDS programming is
accomplished in accordance with CRS/USCCB AIDS policies, & the Standards
Approach for CRS HIV/AIDS Programming in Africa. Incumbent will provide
leadership with HIV/AIDS Strategy Development, Information Management Project
Development, Capacity Building, Monitoring & Evaluation and Networking. Masters
in Public Health or related field required.
/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\
19.BOOKS AND ARTS

A WORLD WITH A HUMAN FACE: A VOICE FROM AFRICA
Archbishop Njongonkulu Ndungane
http://www.newafricabooks.co.za/books_detail.asp?ID=205
Apartheid is vanquished, good triumphs over evil, the world celebrates! Now
what? The Archbishop of Cape Town is deeply involved in the difficult task of
rebuilding and developing the country and encouraging others to work for the
future with hope and intelligence. Archbishop Ndungane begins by telling his
own life story; he then addresses the World Bank, the international community,
the people of South Africa, and most of all the Church  showing what people
are doing and what they can do to build the country to what it could be.

AFRICA: MILK PRODUCER GROUP RESOURCE BOOK - A PRACTICAL GUIDE TO ASSIST MILK
PRODUCER GROUPS
http://www.africapulse.org/index.php?action=viewarticle&articleid=980
This publication aims to promote the organisation of small-scale milk
collection and processing as a sustainable, income-generating activity for
household food security. It also tries to be a means to improving the safety,
quantity and quality of milk and milk products available for consumers in
developing countries.

ALCOHOL IN AFRICA: MIXING BUSINESS, PLEASURE AND POLITICS
Deborah Fahy Bryceson Ed.
Alcohol in Sub-Saharan Africa has historically been a conduit for religious and
political expression controlled by male elders. Over the past century and
especially during the last two crisis-ridden decades, alcohol's ceremonial role
has been largely displaced. Currently, alcohol is a taboo subject for donors
and African governments alike, yet it is at the nexus of many of the
continent's most pressing problems. Agricultural sector decline, large-scale
labor redundancy, household instability, and AIDS have cause or effect linkages
to changing alcohol usage. This edited collection explores the economic,
political, and social meanings of alcohol usage.
Further details: http://www.pambazuka.org/newsletter.php?id=13408

MINORITIES IN INDEPENDENT NAMIBIA
Minority Rights Group International
http://www.minorityrights.org/admin/Download/Pdf/NamibiaReport.pdf
Minorities in Independent Namibia by James Suzman considers the extent to which
SWAPOs attempts at nation-building have favoured some communities over others.
In a balanced study, the author documents the constitutional and legal
safeguards for minorities in Namibia, and discusses the government's human
rights record. The report covers many of Namibia's ethnic minority communities
and topical concerns, including: the crackdown on secessionists in Caprivi, the
potential impact on the Himba of a proposed dam on the Kunene River, the
extreme marginality of the San, the role of traditional authorities and
leaders, and women's equality.

OUR SIMMERING PLANET
Joyeeta Gupta
http://www.zedbooks.demon.co.uk/home.htm
Heat waves in Delhi and Athens. Hurricane Mitch in Central America and
tornadoes in the USA. Floods in Britain and China. All unprecedented in
severity. Unprecedented in frequency. What is happening to the world's weather?
What are the world's governments doing about it? This book takes us through the
science, and behind the politics.

PARECON: LIFE AFTER CAPITALISM
Michael Albert
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/stores/detail/-
/books/185984698X/reviews/qid=1045077155/sr=11-1/103-7547362-8471839
"What do you want?" is a constant query put to economic and globalization
activists decrying current poverty, alienation, and degradation. In this highly
praised new work, destined to attract worldwide attention and support, Michael
Albert provides an answer: "Participatory Economics" - "Parecon" for short - a
new economy, an alternative to capitalism, built on familiar values including
solidarity, equity, diversity, and people democratically controlling their own
lives.

REVISITING THE COLONY
http://www.chimurenga.co.za/content.asp?Section=185
This is an extract from a conversation between writers and artists in Nairobi,
about language and literature, and the state of the arts in Kenya and
Africa.On Naipaul, Conrad, Theroux, Ryszard Kapuscinsky, and what they mean to
this continent. The contributors have opted to remain anonymous, and so each
will be identified with random initials.
/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\
20.MEMBERS CORNER
/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\
21.LETTERS AND COMMENTS

AFRICA: REQUEST FOR CONTRIBUTIONS TO AFRICAN YOUTH DIRECTORY
The Institute for democracy in South Africa (Idasa) has been contracted by a
UNESCO structure, INJEP (the National Institute of Youth and Popular Education)
to develop an African Youth Directory. The aim of this project is to facilitate
contact between structures dealing with youth issues on the African continent,
and between these African structures and other interested parties worldwide.
The Youth Directory will be distributed through youth structures in Africa and
internationally, and different structures included in the directory stand to
benefit a great deal from the increased exposure. The Youth Directory aims to
provide information on youth structures and policies in all member states of
the African Union. If you would like to have your organisation included in the
directory, or know of any organisations that we should include, please contact
Nico Bezuidenhout at [EMAIL PROTECTED]

GEOFFREY CHAN
Communiqu Editor
I refer the story which you used from the Communiqu (Pambazuka News 99:
http://www.pambazuka.org/newsletter.php?id=13274) For your information, it
contains an error that we have since corrected. The journalist in question is
not Isaias Afewerki but Fessahaye Yoahannes. Afewerki is the Eritrean president
responsible for jailing Yoahannes and 17 other journalists!

RITA NZIMBI
Life Concern International, Nairobi, Kenya
I look forward to being connected with Pambazuka not only to be networked with
other organisations but to gain information useful for Life Concern
International's objectives to be realised.
/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\/\/\//\
THIS NEWSLETTER IS BROUGHT TO YOU BY FAHAMU, KABISSA, AND SANGONET
Fahamu - learning for change
Unit 14, Standingford House, Cave Street, Oxford OX4 1BA, UK
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.fahamu.org

Kabissa - Space for change in Africa
24 Philadelphia Avenue, Takoma Park, MD 20912, USA
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.kabissa.org

Southern African Non-Governmental Organisation Network (SANGONeT)
P O Box 31
Johannesburg, 2000
South Africa
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.sn.apc.org

The Newsletter is an advocacy tool for social justice. The Newsletter is open
to any organisation committed to this goal. You can use this Newsletter to tell
others about your work, events, publications, and concerns. The quality and
range of information depends on you.

SUBMIT YOUR NEWS
If your organisation is a regular provider of information, please ensure that
your information is widely read by adding [EMAIL PROTECTED] to your
addressbook and mailing lists. Help us in particular by making sure that
sections relevant to your work are well represented. We consider every
submission to that address for inclusion. Please attribute original sources by
including a website address and/or contact e-mail.

SUBSCRIBE
The Newsletter comes out weekly and is delivered to subscribers by e-mail.
Subscription is free! To subscribe, send an e-mail to <pambazuka-news-
[EMAIL PROTECTED]> with only the word 'subscribe' in the subject or body.

WRITE AN EDITORIAL
We welcome original editorials. Typically, editorials run 300-500 words and
include links and contact details of their authors. Space is available through
the website for longer editorials. Please inquire to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

FAIR USE
This Newsletter is produced under the principles of 'fair use'. We strive to
attribute sources by providing direct links to authors and websites. When full
text is submitted to us and no website is provided, we make the text available
on our website via a "for more information" link. Please contact
[EMAIL PROTECTED] immediately regarding copyright issues.

The views expressed in this newsletter, including the signed editorials, do not
necessarily represent those of Kabissa, Fahamu and SANGONeT.

(c) Fahamu, Kabissa and SANGONeT 2003

If you wish to stop receiving the newsletter, unsubscribe immediately by
sending a message FROM THE ADDRESS YOU WANT REMOVED to
[EMAIL PROTECTED] Please contact [EMAIL PROTECTED] should you need
further assistance subscribing or unsubscribing.