RS> i.e. the executable *is* looking for IO.so in Perl's installation
RS> directories in the
RS> early extraction phase.

Right, but it *does* still still find it in the non-standard path if the
standard one doesn't exist which at least makes me think the search path
actually contains the new extraction (somehow; again I'm clueless on the
extraction steps).  If the new paths are added in the front of the
search path instead of the end, the problem would likely go away (and
leaving the system paths at the end would likely still allow some of the
bootstrapping issues to not reappear (assuming there are any; again: I
don't know))