Many thanks Roderich -- running this through the truss program revealed a
file permissions problem in /tmp/wellnessworkdays/session_data. This PAR
assembly had attempted using this existing directory that had previously
been created by apache while I was running this application in the normal,
non-PAR way (i.e. installing all perl dependencies, etc). This directory was
the same one the PAR assembly wanted, but the permissions were www:wheel.
Removing the directory and letting the PAR assembly re-create it did the
trick!

Thanks again!