Thu Apr 16 05:56:44 2009: Request 45074 was acted upon.
Transaction: Correspondence added by nj88ud...@sneakemail.com
       Queue: PAR
     Subject: Re: [rt.cpan.org #45074] PAR doesn't include Time::Local
   Broken in: 0.992
    Severity: Important
       Owner: Nobody
  Requestors: mschi...@cpan.org
 Ticket <URL: http://rt.cpan.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=45074 >

Hi Michael,

Michael_Schilli via RT wrote:
> Queue: PAR Ticket <URL:
> https://rt.cpan.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=45074 >
>
> Granted, Time::Local is a core module, so -B will fix it, but this
> even happens if you've installed Time::Local from CPAN. Shouldn't pp
> archive the CPAN package?

I know that given how it's implemented, it'll simply skip any core
modules unless -B is present. Here are some ideas how it could be
improved (using Module::CoreList):

- The user could be allowed to specify the target perl version (which
defaults to the current one).
- PAR::Packer then does NOT skip those core modules which have a higher
version than what Module::CoreList considers the version that shipped
with the target perl.

This would generally degrade to the current behaviour *unless* you
installed newer versions of core modules from CPAN.

I think in case of upgraded core modules, this is actually not what
users want most of the time. Most module upgrades aren't necessarily
required for proper operation and shipping a load of core modules with
EVERY .par archive is almost always a bad idea.

Therefore, I'm not sure whether or how this should be changed. Adding
more options to pp is generally a bad thing (just look at the synopsis
of perldoc pp) unless they're rarely needed and the defaults are good in
95% of all cases.

Further opinions on this would be very welcome, but as usual, patches, too!

Cheers,
Steffen