Hi all,

Roderich Schupp wrote:
On Wed, Jun 9, 2010 at 7:20 PM, Xaero <groundxa...@gmail.com> wrote:
You should read the pp pod which has a lot of useful options,
infact if you have a few minutes then there is some fantastic
documentation in the PAR-Packer tarball contrib folder by Alan
Stewart.

You mean contrib/docs/{where_is_it,who_am_i}.txt? I didn't know about
it either :(

You didn't? Wow! It really needs better advertisement then. contrib/ has a bunch of useful things. Did you ever add your extraction script there? That would be a good candidate for inclusion.

Is it anywhere else in more accessible location?

One should probably convert it to POD format and check for outdated
information (it appears to have been written in 2004). Patches
welcome in either case, of course .

There may be a few more modes of operation for the extraction nowadays. I'm thinking of my Archive::Unzip::Burst shortcuts.

I'll try to mark it up correctly for the next release so that it will
 be shown on the PAR::Packer CPAN page under the "Documentation"
section.

I totally agree. It's good documentation and I'm still sad that Alan stopped participating in PAR.*.

The one gripe I have with the document is that it's talking about the guts of how things work rather too much for most users. I'm guessing that's why it's hidden in contrib (or because of licensing?). Then again, the case at hand shows that users sometimes need to be aware of the underlying mechanisms to address their needs.

It's a trade-off. But in the end, it's probably better to let the user decide what part of the documentation he wants to read. PAR::Environment leaks quite a few dirty secrets already.

Cheers,
Steffen