---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Ron Wilson <ronw.m...@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, Aug 5, 2013 at 2:04 PM
Subject: Re: Packaging Prima apps with PAR::Packer
To: Roderich Schupp <roderich.sch...@googlemail.com>

On Mon, Aug 5, 2013 at 12:56 PM, Roderich Schupp <
roderich.sch...@googlemail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 5, 2013 at 6:45 PM, David Mertens <dcmertens.p...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> So if it simply scans the files in %PATH% (which I guess is the Windows
>> way of doing this), then it should have found it if it knew to replace
>> "jpeg" with "libjpeg-8_.dll".
>>

> Yeah, "if it knew". Sorry, PAR::Packer has been designed without AI
> capabilities.

After encountering this problem recently, I did some digging. What I found
was that the DLL (lzma.dll) being referenced by the package I was using
(Compress::LZMA) was referencing another DLL (liblzma_5.dll). The second
DLL was the one that packager was not detecting.

What would be required would be a tool to scan the known DLLs for other
DLLs they reference. Presuming the packaging was being done on the same PC
that the Perl program was tested on, the scan process could warn about, but
otherwise ignore any DLL that it couldn't find. (The missing DLLs could be
either alternates to other that were found or could represent optional
functionality that won't be available. As long as your program does
everything it is supposed to do, the missing DLLs won't matter. Of course,
proper testing of the program is required - both before and after
packaging.)