Wed Jul 13 06:26:09 2016: Request 116056 was acted upon.
Transaction: Correspondence added by RSCHUPP
       Queue: PAR-Packer
     Subject: Fixes for Cygwin build of PAR::Packer
   Broken in: 1.030
    Severity: (no value)
       Owner: Nobody
  Requestors: kbr...@cornell.edu
 Ticket <URL: https://rt.cpan.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=116056 >

Am 2016-07-11 15:15:22, kbr...@cornell.edu schrieb:
> There are two problems with the build of PAR::Packer 1.033 on Cygwin:

Thanks for reporting these problems. Next time, please do not lump
several problems into one bug, but submit diffrent bug reports for ach.

> 1. The build fails with "undefined reference to `__stack_chk_fail'".
> This happens starting with version 1.030 due to the removal of the line
>
>    $boot_ldflags .= $static_ldflags;
>
> from Makefile.PL.  Adding that line back (see the attached
> boot_ldflags.patch) fixes the problem.

That's definitively the wrong fix, boot.exe is a standalone executable
that has no dependencies or perl stuff. I'll look into why this undefined
reference appears.

> 2. The method for detecting a 64-bit system in Makefile.PL, based on
> $Config{archname}, doesn't work on 64-bit Cygwin.  Here we have the
> following:
> So PAR::Packer should use myuname on Cygwin instead of archname.  See
> the attached x86_64_cygwin.patch.

A better solution is to use $Config{ptrsize} (4 or 8) to differentiate
between 32 bit and 64 bit systems.

Cheers, Roderich