The Sign Stimulus Effect
Diane: In looking at your website, I was fascinated with your research
concerning what you call "sign stimulus" — the way many people react when
viewing photographs of crop circles. You said that you were studying the
electromagnetic fields and the effects on living systems, and as a result you
were listing the various effects that people have reported.

Please explain to me how you got onto this aspect of crop circle research, and
what you discovered?

Lucy: I got into this particular area of research after watching people fall
asleep whilst I was giving a lecture. I thought, "Oh my goodness, am I really
as boring as that?" Initially I found this unnerving.

It was a couple of years later, when I was giving a talk to the National
Federation of Spiritual Healers, that I discovered the reason for this. During
the morning segment of my lecture several people seemed to go to sleep. Later,
several of us were outside chatting during lunch, talking about various aspects
of the talk, and one of people who had been fast asleep said, "Oh yes, wasn't
that interesting."

I said, "Now hold on, I noticed that you were asleep at that particular time,
because I found it quite disturbing."

It was at the moment I said this that I suddenly realized what was happening.
The geometric shapes of the formations were triggering off a response in the
brain sending some people into a trance-like state.

Interestingly, people appear to be asleep, but really they are taking
everything in at a subconscious level. Maybe their conscious mind can't absorb
a particular message so it simply cuts out and the subconscious takes over. In
any event, most of these people told me it had never happened to them before.

There is a scientific explanation to this behavior.

After a lovely musical chord is struck on the piano, resonances in the ear and
in the brain kindle emotions, and a mandala has the same effect visually. It is
known as a "sign stimulus" or "releaser." Many of the crop formations are
shaped like mandalas (see mandala photo at left). They trigger a release or
behavioral response without requiring either knowledge or understanding on the
part of the person's conscious mind.

I am now aware of this fact, and when I give talks I often warn people, saying,
"When I begin, if you feel sleepy don't fight it because you will hear
everything I'm saying, but at a different level."

Diane: That's amazing! And it makes sense, too, because if you look at how
mandalas are used in other cultures. . .

Lucy: Indeed. They are meditational symbols.

Diane: I'm aware that there are several physical experiences that occur time
and again with people who have either observed the symbols from afar or have
been in them, right?

Lucy: Yes. After receiving over 600 independent reports, I've accumulated a
whole list of different categories and the reported effects. Here's a list of
health categories and their effects:

   Oral — taste (metallic), tooth pain, unusual thirst
   Cranial — headaches
   Ocular — vision changes, hallucination
   Auditory
   Intestinal — nausea, diarrhea, sudden hunger, etc.
   Systemic — dizziness, weak knees, leg pain, etc.
   Mental — thought processes affected, short-term memory loss, feelings of
panic, terror, evil, peace, love and light, disorientation, sense of a Presence

When I get, say, 12 to 15 people independently reporting exactly the same
effect, this is when I try to find a scientific explanation.

Diane: Have you come to any conclusions?

Lucy: We know physically how the crop circles are formed. But we don't know who
is directing the force. It could be a discarnate intelligence. Certainly we are
dealing with a very complex energy system, and one has to be curious about the
nature of the intelligence behind this phenomenon. It's one of the reasons I'm
still continuing with my research.

Another reason relates to my investigations into the effects of electromagnetic
fields on living systems. This is a very sensitive arena, particularly in this
day and age when we are polluting the airways with our microwaves, mobile
telephones, computers, and all the electronic noise that is going into the
atmosphere. We don't yet know the long-term effects of this, and I think it is
another sensitive area which is going to become more and more important.

If the scientific findings from crop circle investigations can contribute to
the understanding of this research, all of our efforts will have been well
worthwhile.

Currently I'm studying hormone levels. In reports that have come in, many women
claim to have suffered abnormal menstrual cycles and postmenopausal problems
after going into a genuine crop circle. Now clearly this is yet another
sensitive issue, and it wasn't until I started talking about it quite openly
that more and more reports came in.

These reports clearly indicated hormone stimulation. And it was at this
juncture that I started to work with Anne Smithells of Biotech Health, using
the Best System.

  Measuring Bio Points
In the 1950s, Dr. Reinhold Voll, a German biophysicist, discovered a way to
measure energy levels of bio points.

The patient holds an electrode in one hand, whilst a galvanometer is pressed
against an acupuncture point on a finger of the other hand. This technique
measures skin resistance, picking up electrical energy.

Before each test begins, a balanced reading of 50 is obtained by pressing the
probe (galvanometer) against acupressure points on the patient's finger until
one is found that consistently gives a reading of 50 (equivalent to 100,000
ohms).

Only then does the test begin.

Diane: How do we know we are measuring a particular substance?

Lucy: We know that every substance has an electromagnetic field (food, vitamin,
mineral, parasite or virus) containing its own particular energy pattern or
electronic signature. Jim Clark, who developed the Best System, managed to
isolate these individual patterns, record these electromagnetic signatures and
encode them into the Best System, which currently has a capacity for over
30,000 electronic signatures.

So if we are testing for thyroid, for example, the probe will carry the
electronic signature of thyroid to the acupressure point on the patient's
finger. The probe sends a very small electronic signal (5 volts at 30
microamps). The body's reaction is translated into numerical form and recorded
by the system.

The normal scale of reading is broadly between 48 and 56.

Professor William Tiller at Stanford University's Department of Material
Science & Engineering, and others, have examined this system, and they see
great potential in terms of future diagnostic medicine.

  Hormonal Changes
When measuring hormone levels in genuine crop circles, the results show that
the melatonin, thyroid, and adrenaline levels are altered against the control
tests taken outside the formation. Our results over the years have been
consistent.

Diane: So what I'm hearing you say is that some women who normally experience
their menstrual cycles to be consistent and normal have gone into a genuine
crop circle and found that their cycles changed?

Lucy: Yes. There have been several woman who have completed menopause and
suddenly found they are menstruating again. One woman went right back to a
teenage flow, much to her dismay. There is also one woman who regularly has a
28-day cycle. She never, never varies except when she goes into a crop circle.

Diane: Why do you think this is occurring?

Lucy: I believe it is a result of the electromagnetic fields found inside the
crop circle.

Diane: Has anyone tried using cellphones inside of crop circles?

Lucy: Yes. Sometimes they work and sometimes they don't. We find in many crop
circles that fully charged batteries will drain completely. This is becoming a
commonplace occurrence.

This summer, a friend of mine went into a most amazing crop circle — the one on
Milk Hill. She decided to take along her Canon camcorder with a fully charged
3-hour battery. When she reached the formation, the surrounding view was
fantastic and she turned on her camcorder to take pictures, but it wouldn't
work. She thought perhaps she hadn't put the battery on correctly, so she took
it off and put it on again, and it still wouldn't work. She repeated this
exercise two or three times without success. On her return home, she recharged
her battery and it has worked perfectly ever since.

Diane: How about pacemakers?

Lucy: In all my lectures I say adamantly that if anyone has a health device
that is geared by a battery such as a pacemaker, Do not go in!  And if you are
pregnant or thinking of becoming pregnant, don't go in. We do not know exactly
what is happening, and it is not worth taking any risks. Also, don't take your
credit cards with you. They often get wiped.

Diane: That might be a good thing. . .

Lucy: (laughing) Well not if you're trying to fill up with petrol afterwards.

Diane: So I'm curious. If you take a bit of the wheat and some soil away from
the crop circle, to a lab for instance, does it still maintain a similar
electromagnetic field?

Lucy: Yes, it does. This is clearly revealed by dowsing. We take control
samples and do blind studies. We dowse the control sample and then dowse the
samples taken from inside an authentic crop circle. The difference is quite
dramatic. In manmade ones there is no difference at all.

  Manmade versus Genuine Circles
Diane: I've been talking to a couple of other crop circle researchers about the
distinctions between genuine circles and manmade ones, discussing what might be
motivating these folks to put out all the energy it takes to construct one.

Lucy: Many of the hoaxers are on ego trips. We all know that manmade circles
exist, but I do not believe there are nearly as many as the hoaxers would have
us believe. But I'm not interested in those. As a researcher I'm only
interested in the true phenomenon. I will occasionally use the manmade ones as
control samples because they are useful. But I'm interested in researching the
real thing.

Diane: I've heard that circles appear in ice?

Lucy: Yes. And orchards, carrots, string beans, potato crops, yes. . . maze. .
. anything which would take the imprint, even snow.

Diane: Wow, that's amazing.

Lucy: The one found in snow was near Moscow. There were no footprints to it and
no footprints leading away from it.

But you know, Diane, we can't look at this phenomenon from just a scientific
view. It's got a very strong spiritual aspect to it, as well. Many people
experience dramatic life changes after going into a crop circle. It can be
quite dramatic for them — rather like those who have a near-death experience
and come back with a completely new viewpoint on life, or with healing
abilities.

Many people have said to me, "I've read all the books on the subject, I've been
to many lectures, but nothing could prepare me for the personal experience of
going into a formation."

When you are inside a formation you feel as though you're in your own little
world, and even when the circle is close to a road where there is a lot of
traffic, you don't feel part of that. It's rather a womb-like experience.
You're totally safe and totally secure.

You may be limited physically but you're not limited mentally, emotionally, or
spiritually. You can access other levels of consciousness and other dimensions.
It really is quite a miraculous experience for many people.

I was giving a talk just the other night and somebody came up to me and she
said, "You know, after being in one of the formations, I found I can heal."
This is wonderful.

  Affects Upon Consciousness
Diane: That's great. But to bring it back to the scientific again, if the right
brain is being activated or changed in some way, would you associate that with
the activation of artistic and healing abilities?

Lucy: I think we can all heal. But I think we often put barriers and don't
allow ourselves to do so. Eighty-five percent of people can dowse. Why can't
the other fifteen percent? It's because somehow they stop themselves from doing
it.

Diane: Spiritually speaking, you mentioned earlier that you felt that who or
whatever was doing this was definitely intelligent, and possibly operating from
the unseen worlds?

Lucy: In my book Crop Circles, The Greatest Mystery of Modern Times[1] I
discuss the various theories that have been put forth. You could also say that
crop circles are manifestations of our own subconscious.

Diane: But what does your intuition say?

Lucy: I don't know. This is what I call a moving phenomenon. One day I'll think
one thing and the next day I'll think another. I believe it is necessary to be
flexible when dealing with a phenomenon for which you don't have the answer.
You've got to remain very fluid in your ideas.

I'm very comfortable with the idea of other dimensions and parallel worlds. I
find I can go back in time quite easily, and I'm fairly psychic. So I don't
feel I have to have an answer. I'm very happy to say, "I don't know."

Diane: Well, that would also keep you in a state of searching.

Lucy: Yes.

  New and Old Phenomena
Diane: Have you noticed a change in the crop circles over the last couple of
years?

Lucy: From a mathematical point of view, yes. There have been gradual
evolutions over the past 12 years. But this is not a modern phenomenon. The
first recorded circle was in 1687, and since then there have been records
throughout the ages. The patterns are becoming increasingly complex.

As an analogy, say you were talking to someone who found that what you were
saying was deadly boring, and their eyelids started to droop. You would
probably change to another subject. Whereas if someone is interested, you would
be prepared to elaborate. I think this is very much the same with the crop
circle phenomenon. As more and more interest is being shown in the subject, so
we get a greater response. We are in a giant learning curve — we're being
gently led on this expanding path of knowledge, if you like.

Certainly in the early days the mathematical properties were fairly simple and
elementary. Now we are into university-level mathematics.

Diane: What do you think about the new glyphs that appeared in Chilbolton and
on Milk Hill?

Lucy: The two final ones we had in Hampshire/Chilbolton, were very close to
where I live and were a completely new departure. Normally the pattern is
depicted in the fallen crop — in the negative. Whereas in the last two that we
had in Chilbolton, the pattern was in the positive — the pattern was made up of
the standing crop. Also what was particularly interesting about these two
formations was that unlike the other formations, which are open to many
different interpretations, these two had only one interpretation.

The first of these, which has been called the Arecibo Response, mirrored an
original message sent to star cluster M13 in 1974 by the Arecibo telescope in
Puerto Rico. It contained a great deal of encoded information. The second one
was a face. There was no other possible interpretation of either formation
(click on photo to see enlarged view; see also the Colin Andrews article, which
talks more about these two designs).

This was most intriguing. There was a lot of interest from America about these
two formations, whereas in Britain there was an initial flurry of activity and
then the story was dropped like a hot potato.

I went into these formations three times. And as I am aware that hoaxing
exists, I now look at formations with the view that they might be manmade, and
I try and find evidence that this is not the case.

As I examined these formations I couldn't detect any way they could have been
made by man. I do not believe it was possible to construct the Face or the
Arecibo Response with this kind of precision, depicting the message so
precisely, let alone add on additional information with such immaculate
accuracy. It was mind blowing.

Diane: Could we go back in time a bit and talk about the early crop circles.

Lucy: The early crop circles started off as just simple circles. The next
developments were rings around the circles. Then the rings started to increase
in numbers. Then satellite circles were added. Next came shafts linking circles
together.

Over time, other geometries appeared. Scholars of the arcane likened early
designs to Celtic, astronomical, or astrological symbols, and that was an
excellent development, because that was when the real communication started
between the different disciplines.

Scientists began talking to metaphysicians and finding that they unexpectedly
had quite a lot in common. Astronomers also tried talking to the astrologers,
but I don't think they got very far with that one. The gap was pretty wide
there. But at least they tried.

Diane: Do you have anything to say about the timing of the appearance of the
circles in August related to the 9/11 incident?

Lucy: Not particularly. Because we are very governed by the harvest. The
phenomenon starts fairly simply in the early months in April, and usually there
is a build-up over the season as the formations become increasingly complex.

Then we have our masterpieces. The masterpieces appear at the end of the
season, and over the years we've had some staggering ones! This year we've had
the wonderful Milk Hill event, which is composed of 409 circles and is 878 feet
in diameter.

  Thoughts for the Future
Diane: Where do you feel your research is going?

Lucy: It is going as far as my funding will allow. My work is funded entirely
by my own money and therefore I am severely limited in the amount of research I
am able to conduct. At the moment I am particularly focusing on the changes in
hormonal patterns, as I believe this is an area of fundamental importance.

Diane: To ultimately prove that the electromagnetic fields do affect us?

Lucy: Our aim is for our research to be accepted by mainstream science. And in
order to achieve this, it is necessary to build up a large scientific database.
I've been conducting these hormone tests for four years, but to be considered
credible I'll have to get consistent results for at least five or six years
before this work is given recognition.

Diane: Do you have any final remarks you'd like to add?

Lucy: I think the crop circle enigma is an incredible phenomenon which allows
people to embark on a journey of expansion, both mentally, emotionally, and
spiritually. It is an enormous subject. One which is multifaceted and full of
opportunities. It's up to us which path or paths we want to take.

            Lucy Pringle, crop circle researcher and aerial photographer, was
educated in England, France, and Switzerland and has travelled widely. She is a
founding member of the Centre for Crop Circle Studies and a founding member and
chairman of UNEX (Unexplained Phenomena Research society). She also belongs to
the British Society of Dowsers.

Lucy is co-ordinating the research into the effects of electromagnetic fields
on living systems. She also lectures (at home and internationally), writes, and
has had many TV appearances, all concerning the crop circle phenomenon.

Her book Crop Circles, the Greatest Mystery of Modern Times contains a wealth
of illustrations. She also has published a book of cartoons, drawn by Peter
Eade, titled Paranormal Pranks.

She lives in Hampshire.

To contact Lucy Pringle, check out her website at home.clara/net/lucypringle/.
To obtain more details about photographs, calendars, postcards and other crop
circle goods, please send SAE to Lucy Pringle, 5 Town Lane, Sheet, Petersfield,
Hampshire GU32 2AF, or contact her via: Tel/fax +44 (0)1730 263454.

Footnotes:

   Crop Circles: The Greatest Mystery of Modern Times by Lucy Pringle,
published by Thorsens, Harper Collins (ISBN 0-7225-3855-3).

Top of Page  Print Version

Visit:

http://us.click.yahoo.com/AHchtC/4FxNAA/yQLSAA/98XolB/TM