David - I came to the same exact conclusion. When I jumped to openMPI-1.3 I was able to get a clean build and execution. Strange.

David C Thompson wrote:

> Has anyone had any trouble building Paraview with the latest nVidia GL
> libraries?  On both RH4 and RH5, we've not been able to compile Paraview
> 3.4.0 (or 3.2.1) against nVidia driver 180.22 or 180.25.    We can build
> against nVidia driver 173.14.xx.   Also, if we build on a system that
> has driver 173.14.xx and then try to execute 'paraview' on a system with
> a 180.22 driver, we also get a floating point exception error.
I've had a similar problem on Fedora 10, but only when MPI support is
turned on and linking to openmpi-1.2.x (where x is 4 or 8). Carefully
uninstalling all vestiges of the nvidia drivers, re-installing just the
180.25 drivers, and building against openmpi-1.3.0 solved the problem.

I am not sure how critical the nvidia stuff was to the process but it's
something I did when I was looking into the issue -- I noticed that
NVidia's *.pkg.run script had put some libraries in a different
directory than the rpms from rpmfusion-nonfree and so both coexisted
(and might have caused problems where we linked to one but loaded the
other at runtime).

In any event the floating point exception seemed to be coming from the
openmpi-opal library's override of malloc.

        Hope this helps,
        David