I have another program that has supposedly generated an LSDYNA file
named *.k. ParaView 3.6.1 does recognize the file type as something it
thinks it can open but when I select the file and click "Open" from
the file dialog I get another window that asks me to specify the
reader to use and LSDYNA isn't in the list. Thoughts?
The *.k files are input decks. The LSDyna reader in VTK really only reads output decks (named d3plot, d3plot1, ...). If those are present, it will read the input deck to obtain part names but does not read the input deck for geometry or boundary condition information.

        David