Hi Mark,

You're git submodule Utilities/Xdmf2 is too recent.

Let me guess. You checked out ParaView from git like this:

% git clone git://paraview.org/ParaView.git
% git submodule init
% git submodule update

Then, for some reason, you did something similar to
% cd Utilities/Xdmf2/
% git branch
* (no branch)
  master
% git checkout master

If you run then cmake, you'll get exactly the error you posted.

% git submodule update
Submodule path 'Utilities/Xdmf2': checked out
'17f7aadc96a0a72c0f8f6e21cd37900db73b1b1f'

then try running cmake again. I bet it'll work then.

Hope that helps.

Sven