After doing some more digging, it appears this problem is not only
related to temporal collections, but all XDMF/HDF5 files with spatial
collections. If repeatedly open and close a file containing a spatial
collection, Paraview's memory usage gradually increases until it hangs
my machine. I observe this in both 3.6 and 3.8 RC2.

Cheers,
Tobias

---
Tobias Brandvik
PhD Student
Whittle Laboratory, University of Cambridge
1 JJ Thomson Avenue
Cambridge CB3 0DY, UK