When you save an image of a 3D image, it is a raster image regardless whether
you save it in pdf.  As such, you are much better off saving as a png file
where the resolution is explicit.  You can then convert it (with, for example,
ImageMagick) to any format that you chose and keep that resolution.

If you are interested, here are posted a collection of CMake macros that will
manage a LaTeX build and convert image formats as necessary.

http://www.cmake.org/Wiki/CMakeUserUseLATEX

-Ken