Eric,
Actually this is a regular binary downloaded from Paraview.org. (windows 32 , same problem on linux 64) the play operates correctly but the "save animation" only saves the 1st frame (t=0) of the histogram. On the other hand, the 3D Vtu view is correctly updated.
My pipeline is a simple "pvd >> histogram"

Philippe DAVID
Sciences Computers Consultants
office:33(0)4-77-49-75-80
mobile:33(0)6-08-47-64-38