It looks like the nii file is a NifTI file type which there is a plugin for
the reader.  If you go to Tools->Plugin Manager you can select the NifTI
reader and choose Load Selected to the load the plugin.  Then you should be
able to read in the file without any extra work.

If that doesn't work you can check out the paraview wiki information about
plugins at http://paraview.org/Wiki/ParaView#Plugins for information on
creating your own plugin reader.

Andy