From: Eric E. Monson [emon...@cs.duke.edu]
Sent: Thursday, November 18, 2010 3:31 PM
To: Jerier Jean-François
Cc: paraview@paraview.org
Subject: Re: [Paraview] Bonds representation

Hey Jean-François,

Well, since you want to apply the Tube filter, you may want to define your data
as POLYDATA instead of unstructured grid (since you have to turn the data into
vtkPolyData to apply the Tube filter, anyway). Then, since the radius of the
tube filter is based on point data rather than cell data, you'll have to run
Cell Data to Point Data in ParaView at some point, but with the way your data
is defined now you share points at the intersections of the line segments, and
so the point data will end up as the average value of each of the neighboring
cells. (Just run it on your data file and you'll see in the Inspector tab that
all values are 15.) You can solve this by running the Shrink filter first with
a Shrink Factor of 1.0 and it will duplicate the end points for you. (This will
also create an Unstructured Grid out of your polydata, though.) So, you might
want to just define the duplicate end points in your data file. With this you
can just load it in, run cell data to point data, and then apply tubes. Of
course, you can also just define point data in your data file, where you
duplicate the cell data for each of the line segment end points instead of
doing this with ParaView.

With separate cells you'll always get disconnected tubes (instead of one
continuous tube with "nice" joined corners around the square, in this case) --
I don't think you can avoid this with the way you need to define your data on
the edges.

Mainly it comes down to choices between how much you want to do with ParaView
filters, and how much you want to pre-process and just store in your data file
instead. I'll attach an alternate vtk file which does the extreme example of
putting everything in the data file so all you have to do is load it in and
apply the Tube filter. (But again, if you want to store minimal information in
you data file, you can just use your original data file and apply the pipeline:
file.vtk->Shrink->CellDatatoPointData->ExtractSurface->Tube.)

Hope this helps,
-Eric