I am trying to run a paraview server (pvserver) on a multinode machine using osmesa to do offscreen rendering (and then viewed from a client on another machine).

I have been successful in compiling pvserver with osmesa. However, when I try to use pvserver, it hangs. Specifically, I start a paraview client on machine A (bentley) and ask for a reverse-connection connection to a pvserver which I will start manually on machine B. I go to machine B and start pvserver (in reverse connect, with machine A specified as the client host).

The connection is successful insofar as the output on the terminal I started pvserver on on machine B says

Connected to client.

However, no rendering occurs on the paraview client on Machine A.

quite a bit of digging later (including putting some printf calls into pvserver on machine B), I've figured out where the hang is:

In

vtkPVSynchronizedRenderWindows::SynchronizeBounds
we are in case RENDER_SERVER and we freeze during either the
c_rs_controller->Send
or
c_rs_controller->Receive
call.

A bit of the call stack is:

vtkPVSynchronizedRenderWindows::SynchronizeBounds
vtkPVRenderView::GatherBoundsInformation
vtkPVRenderView::Render

I belive this is the first render attempt made by pvserver.

I had compiled pvserver without MPI and am currently trying to recompile it with MPI.