Nathan,
Thanks for the reply. That cleared out most of the warnings. I am left with:

 WARNING: Target "vtkRendering" requests linking to directory
"/home/ubuntu/osmesa/lib".  Targets may link only to libraries.  CMake is
dropping the item.
 WARNING: Target "vtkRendering" requests linking to directory
"/home/ubuntu/osmesa/lib".  Targets may link only to libraries.  CMake is
dropping the item.
 WARNING: Target "vtkVolumeRendering" requests linking to directory
"/home/ubuntu/osmesa/lib".  Targets may link only to libraries.  CMake is
dropping the item.

which seems kind of critical to me... I am sure i am missing something else,
but not sure what:

>From my cmake list -
 OPENGL_INCLUDE_DIR               /home/ubuntu/osmesa/include
 OPENGL_gl_LIBRARY                /home/ubuntu/osmesa/lib/libOSMesa.so
 OPENGL_glu_LIBRARY               /home/ubuntu/osmesa/lib/libGLU.so
 OPENGL_xmesa_INCLUDE_DIR         OPENGL_xmesa_INCLUDE_DIR-NOTFOUND
 OSMESA_INCLUDE_DIR               /home/ubuntu/osmesa/include
 OSMESA_LIBRARY                   /home/ubuntu/osmesa/lib