Utkarsh,

I agree that composite readers (and probably other composite filters) can provide the dataset structure in the RequestDataObject pass, but I don't know that many currently do. Certainly the ExodusIIReader doesn't. It would be easy enough to provide an empty hierarchy of *all the available* blocks the file(s) contain, but doing that with all of the block/set selections plus populating empty arrays on each leaf (which I think would be useful) would be a lot of work.

        David