I am running CMake 2.8.7 for these builds. I am also using VS2008 SP1 for the
build because I need it match exactly the Kitware build environment. I didn't
do anything special in the install of Visual Studio. I did put the CMake
installation in C:/Applications (where I put some other items).

 I pulled the ParaView source from the ParaView download page and unpacked it.

 I do run Windows 7 x64 Ult in a Parallels Virtual Machine hosted on OS X
10.6.8. The VM has 4 CPUs and 4GB of Memory. The host system has 32GB of RAM.

The other interesting part is that I tool a look at my HDF5 1.8.7 source
(Directly from the HDF5 group) and the H5public.h file is different from that
included with VTK/Utilities. In the VTK/Utilities/vtkhdf5 version there is an
extra
#ifdef WIN32
#undef ssize_t
#endif

Which I am not sure why it is needed. I see that the version of HDF5 that is
included with VTK is HDF5 1.8.5-post2 which was still being developed. The
latest is 1.8.8 with a soon to be released 1.8.9. I know there have been some
bug fixes to the CMake files in these later versions. Maybe that would help to
update HDF5 to a slightly newer version.
   I build HDF5 in both 32 and 64 bit without issues on windows all the time.

 Comments Welcome.
--
Mike Jackson <www.bluequartz.net>