On Wed, 6 Jun 2012, Moreland, Kenneth wrote:

I am guessing that Vorticity in your dataset is a 3D vector (which is
typical) and that Q Criterion is a scalar.

When you take the gradient of a vector, you get a 3x3 tensor (an estimate
of the Jacobian matrix, I believe).  These 9-tuples are not as widely
recognized in ParaView/VTK filters as scalars and vectors so they will not
be listed in selection combo boxes for inputs.  You should still see the
entry listed in the Information panel, though.

This filter, besides calculating the gradient, gives me the option to also calculate

 Compute Vorticity
 Compute QCriterion

I'm starting from a velocity vector field. I would expect to obtain, after the filter and selecting all options:

 - a gradient (here it gives only 3 main directions)
 - a vorticity vector field
 - a scalar field with QCriterion

 Of these, the vorticity field is absent, even in the information panel.

 best,

 Ricardo Reis

 --

 PhD/MSc Mechanical Engineering | Lic. Aerospace Engineering

 Computational Fluid Dynamics, High Performance Computing, Turbulence
 http://www.lasef.ist.utl.pt

 Cultural Instigator @ Rádio Zero
 http://www.radiozero.pt

 http://www.flickr.com/photos/rreis/

 contacts:  gtalk: kyriu...@gmail.com  skype: kyriusan

 Institutional Address:

 Ricardo J.N. dos Reis
 IDMEC, Instituto Superior Técnico, Technical University of Lisbon
 Av. Rovisco Pais
 1049-001 Lisboa
 Portugal

                      - email sent with alpine 2.00 -