Arya – from my experience small data will behave worse because there is some
overhead in splitting it up. If it all fits in one process then that is the
best place for it.

Paul

From: paraview-boun...@paraview.org [mailto:paraview-boun...@paraview.org] On
Behalf Of Arya Mazaheri
Sent: Tuesday, 11 September 2012 7:06 PM
To: paraview@paraview.org
Subject: [Paraview] Very slow performance in Parallel mode

Hi there,

I have made some experiments to see how running paraview in parallel mode can
help me visualize my data more faster.

First I ran paraview on my Macbook pro with a sphere source which has about
90MB data. It's running smoothly without considerable annoyance. Then I tried
to run the same dataset on ONE cluster node with 48 CPU cores. I started the
paraview with the following command:

# mpirun -np 48  /share/apps/Paraview3/bin/pvserver -display :0

Then I connected to the server with my Macbook to render the same dataset. But
I noticed a great deal on performance degradation. It was so hard to rotate and
manipulate the object in 3d view. I am surprised by this issue! Do you know the
reason?

Thanks,