Sam,

I feel I should go back an elaborate a little bit. My goal is to create an
arbitrary data file that will represent a crack in a material. This crack
will be modeled as a triangular mesh with the following data defined by the
user:

Nodes (points)
Connectivities (polygons)
Crack Fronts (lines)
Node IDs (Point Data)
Cell IDs (Cell Data)
Cell Normals (Cell Data)
Crack Front Tangent, Binormal, and Normal Vectors (Line data? Point data?
not sure how I am going to be able to go about doing this just yet).

Data for any crack (rectangular, a semi-cylindrical surface, etc.)  should
be able to be placed into this skeleton of a data file and the result
should always appear as the same when opened with Paraview.

Currently I have the nodes, the connectivities, crack fronts, node IDs, and
cell IDs figured out. My question currently is how I can have the cell
normals to be defined in the data file such that I can open it in Paraview,
apply a glyph (arrow) filter and the cell normals appear. Note that each
cell normal is unique and may be in the +z- direction while the adjacent
cell may be -z-direction.

I hope this elaboration helps as I was rushed before in my description of
what I was trying to accomplish.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Best,
Dan Levitus

--
Daniel Levitus