Hi Matthias,

> I would be interested in learning more about mesh quality evaluation, and
> would appreciate a pointer to some literature or other information sources.

This wiki page http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK/mesh_quality has a link to user
documentation for the quality library VTK uses (named Verdict). The
documentation has references to papers on the different quality measures.

> Which formats can be used to load the mesh into ParaView?

The File->Open dialog has a pull-down list at the bottom describing the
different file formats ParaView supports.

        David