There was a talk about that feature in the mailing list with a work around
here:

http://paraview.markmail.org/thread/riu2by4yof2m4e5s#query:+page:1+mid:7dg2jctve32oijwe+state:results

But some reader do have some optimized internal caching which will prevent
this trick to work. But maybe, for the reader that you are interested in,
that might be good enough...

Seb