here is a follow-up.  I installed the latest git checkout on our Cray, and I
can now do Point Sprite rendering. I tested with 8.5 billion particles on 128
GPUs.

I still see some error message, but it is not breaking and not stopping me.
That error message comes from the client on my desktop.

ERROR: In
/local/apps/ParaView/VTK/Common/ExecutionModel/vtkDemandDrivenPipeline.cxx,
line 710
vtkCompositeDataPipeline (0xa2518b0): Input port 0 of algorithm
vtkAppendPolyData(0x9a04f90) has 0 connections but is not optional.

Jean
CSCS