Chris,

Answering your first question is not too difficult, however, diving into ParaView source code to make it your front end is truly complex and someone else will have to reply.

1) Look at the tool bars at the top left. Look at the third line down where the red-to-blue shaded icon is located. On this line, go to right end where you will find a green "circular" arrow with a smaller black arrow pointing to the green arrow's center. Click on this icon and go to your display (Layout #1) and select a point on your object about which you wish the rotation to occur. For zooming, it is helpful to move this new center of rotation to the middle of the screen.

To learn more about ParaView, there is an excellent PDF user's guide here:
http://www.paraview.org/paraview-downloads/download.php?submit=Download&version=v4.3&type=data&os=all&downloadFile=TheParaViewGuide-v4.3-CC-Edition.pdf