Is there any indicator on where the velocity field is valid and where it's
invalid? If there is you can threshold on that. Otherwise you could try
thresholding on the vertical velocity assuming it's significantly larger in
the invalid locations than the valid locations. First you'd have to extract
that component with either the Calculator filter or Python Calculator
filter, and then threshold on the new variable.