I've hit that before. the RAW reader uses MPI-I/O, and MPI uses signed int everywhere in its API, so there are limits that you end up hitting. For instance to partition the data among processors one must give MPI-I/O the starting offset of the data in the file as a signed int, and that is limited to 2^31.

Burlen